Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
add147

Regal Brass Bobbin Cradle Question...

Ok folks I hate to even ask a stupid question but for those of you that tie on a Regal Revolution vise like myself can someone please tell me what exactly is the purpose of the extra brass fitting that comes with the brass bobbin cradle? I've include a picture. I am clueless I guess on what it is used for!

post-52478-0-42740600-1506545327_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for the insight! I upgraded to the brass cradle as the regular one I think is to long. Have a great weekend everyone!!!

I guessed right. It's just a stop good ideal but my renzeti doesn't need a stop unless I fully let it swing. I can see the definite advantages though. I do use the rotating vise in its glory quite frequently. May have to see about getting a stop like that now.

my renzetti comes with the stop. it is set at a certain height that allows me to swing the the cradle out of the way. i do not use the nylon screw to lock the cradle to the stem

dT6GQCh.jpg

Beat me to it. I have two Renzetti, Traveler and Standard, and they both came with the stop similar to what Flytire has there. I am always torn between using the bobbin cradle on some ties and am trying to make it useful but after how many thousand of flies without one I'm having a hard time getting to use it. The heavier duty Renzetti I bought was used and the arm was already on there. Other vises I've had the arm was in the box but not on and I just never used it. Found out you need to throw a half hitch on thread before you trust throwing the bobbin over it. I never used the rotating features of a vise since I never knew what to do with the bobbin and thread while you wound. Now I know what I wasn't doing.

Love my rotary but hate my cradle... (well, maybe that's a little exaggerated). Just saw a video posted on another thread where instead of using the bobbin cradle, the tier simply wound extra thread around the hook before using the rotary feature to rotate the fly in the opposite direction. For counterwinding rib on a rotary, could simply unwind after. I'm taking off my cradle!...

"Fly, be free!"

Kept reading about the bobbin cradle which slides over the shaft & looked at the Revolution & thought why didn't I get one of those with purchase, then realized it's attached to a wood base & kept swung out of the way with finished flies hanging by hook on it.