Fly Tying
LeftyPa

good tip

I learned a new trick for me, so I thought I would pass it on.

Carrying Insect Repellent

Here's a convenient way to carry and apply bug dope: saturate a square of cloth about the size of a handkerchief with repellent, fold it to fit a pocket, and place it in a sealed Zip-Loc bag so it can't evaporate.

I liked it--John

Good tip, John. But make sure you don't transfer it from your hand to your fly line as some repellants can damage fly lines.

Dave

They way deet attack things, I'd have to put some in the sandwich bag for awhile to test it. Maybe affect differet brands differently? Not ab bad idea though, maybe even a little sponge?

i carry a small bottle of 100% deet in my vest. I just hit my hat with a few squirts and that seems to do the job without the worry of getting it on my hands and ruining my line.

I put deet on the backs of my hands and use those to rub my face and neck. No deet on the fingertips on palms. The outside of my clothes are sprayed with it first. I do the same with sun protection whatever the brand.

Deet and sun protection doesn't only mess up fly lines. It can also destroy plastic lenses, flipdown lenses, sunshades or plastic lense glasses, plastic wristwatch straps, nosepads on real glass glasses, etc. in fact almost anything plastic can suffer bad effects from deet or sunscreen. I've ruined enough of both to know from my mistakes.

Ultrthon, is about the best reppelent I have seen. I have used stuff that came from the local millitary base. I have also used just about every kind on the market, and even homemade herbal reppelents. Ill say it again ultrathon, spray or lotion no smell, no residue and about the same price as any other reppelent.

Had another guy telling me the same thing. Just stick a dryer sheet in a vest pocket.

"Just stick a dryer sheet in a vest pocket."

I have been tying one into my net d-ring for the past 10 years and it works great. Make sure you, and whoever you may be fishing with, can stand the smell for a long period of time. It's amazing how strong those sheets smell.