Fly Tying
BostonTroutGuy

cutting decals for foam body flies

Hi all,

I am still tinkering with foam bodied wiggle minnows. Inspired by the article on G&G, I have been experimenting with using holographic lure tape, however, cutting free hand with scissors I can never get a nice-looking, symmetrical shape to affix to the top and bottom of the body. I wonder if anyone has tips for cutting decals in order to get a nice, elongated oval shape? Perhaps there are stencils that people use? Any tips are greatly appreciated, as always.

Tight lines!

Have you tried just wrapping the entire body with the tape, like how is often done with a Bob's Banger?

i dont think the fish will care if its not "perfectly symmetrical"

buy them pre shaped

lurestickerassortment.jpg

well where do i get them?

bass pro shop, cabelas, lure making online stores etc

Draw any design out with a simple cad program like tinkercad (tinkercad.com). Print the design and affix it to the material you want to cut. Then use sissors or an x-acto knife to cut out the design.

If you eat breakfast cereal, save the next box you empty. Strong, thick cardboard that makes excellent stencils for tracing or cutting around.

Using a piece of foam, take your time and trim in a perfect body shape.

Once you've got a shape you want, trace it onto the cardboard and carefully cut it out.

Use the cardboard cut out to trace onto foam (or decal material) for scissor cutting, or as a guide for Exacto knife cutting.

Google "shapes".

copy and paste into a word document or whatever software. transfer the shape to your prism tape

shapes-3.jpg

be creative

If you are looking for tools to cut your own foam "shapes" then I suggest two places to look, Harbor Freight and Tandy Leather. The elongated punches used in leather work can do a really good job if you get the right sizes. Take care & ...