Fly Tying

So nothing is official yet, but we are planning on getting a skiff...

Looking at getting a 10wt for permit, sharks, tarpon, stuff like that. Already have 5,6, and a couple 8wts in the arsenal...

What are your recommendations for a 10wt saltwater reel, under 300$? I was looking at the Lamson Guru as an affordable yet quality option. I would go with the Nautilus X but they don't come in a 10wt model.

And for a rod, what are you guys thinking? Also prefer to stay at or under 300$ for the rod. I was thinking about a used G Loomis Cross Current but always open to ideas.

Thanks for the help

Flats

All the game fish you target require smooth, durable, and strong drags; rugged frames; and a vast capacity for backing. I doubt even the largest Guru qualifies on all counts. I happliy use them for steelhead and GL salmon but would not do so on those critters. Guru frames/spools also can get bent under hard knocks so you must be careful with them.

I'd probably hate it too but I'd go deep in my pocket for a reel made explicitly for that hardball league -- maybe a Billy Pate?

Rocco

I like the TFO Pro II Series 4pc 10wt rod - available for $169 matched with the Orvis Battenkill Disc Spey reel (8/9/10) weight size at $199.

For reels, look at the Colton Torrent or CRGII, both currently on sale and in your price range. American made, tough, great drag, and great customer service, probably the best bang for the buck in a saltwater reel. Buy them direct from Colton through the website or just call. They also sell some pretty nice saltwater rods in your price range too.

If you like the Lamsons, most models come in an HD (heavy duty) version that has a full cage and is more suited to saltwater big game.

For rods for big strong saltwater fish go new with a good warranty. TFO mangrove, echo boost saltwater, or echo bad ass glass are all pretty decent rods in your price range and have good warranties.

For the rod ... don't forget to talk to Steve. He can probably build you one that exceeds any off-the-shelf version for equal or less money.

I have a Galvan 10 wt on a rod that Steve made me. I like them both. Id also check around for some used stuff. Abel reels, never owned one, are very nice, I have fished them, and seem to last forever. Id rather buy something once that I like that lasts (exception would be stuff I lose like knives and sunglasses) instead of something cheaper that doesnt. Hope you enjoy your skiff. Ive been looking at bayboats myself.

I would prefer something that I could cast before hand and that has a warranty. But that is not to say that Steves rods aren't works of art!!

Leaning more toward the echo boost saltwater with a Lamson Guru. Anyone got reviews on the Guru in heavy duty salt? An Abel reel would be nice but I have always been shy about used items especially when I can't inspect it before buying it

Thanks everyone

Steves have a warranty and certainly better than G Loomis warranty. I have used both. Steve has taken care of me on two occasions. Once on a break that was my fault. Charged me shipping and once on a defect in a blank. G Loomis paid nothing.

I wouldn’t shy away from used ...but I’d definitely do my homework on the seller ...check reviews from previous buyers etc.

I’ve bought a couple of used rods and reels and been happy every time, so far.

If you can find one - a used direct drive Billy Pate Tarpon model will be a lifetime purchase that will never let you down... If you can find one, make sure it's in the configuration you want (left or right hand wind....) since they're impossible to change over (Tibor no longer makes the conversion parts for the Pate reels). A Tarpon model is a bit large for a 10 wt - the Bonefish model will also work well for a 10 wt -but it's a tad small (I used one as a 10wt reel for many years though...).

The Pate series was the first big game fly reels that Tibor (Teddy Juracik) ever produced - they're pretty much indestructible and would be my first choice if I were headed for some remote place where your gear has to work - no matter what... They're a bit old fashioned and slightly heavy but were the first reels for the salt that were built right (Billy Pate told Teddy what he needed and Teddy started machining them out of bar stock in the eighties...). I own a Tarpon and a Bonefish - and will never part with them. You can find either model on E-Bay for right around $300...

As far as rods go... you can pick up a variety of high end gear used - but usually without a warranty... Consider a Temple Fork rod - for $200 (0r a bit less) you get a full warranty - and I can guarantee you'll break rods (some of my rods have been back to the factory more than once - in a single year...). I can tell you we've beaten tarpon up to 80lbs with a 10wt Ticr-X (and I now keep a 9, 10, and a 12wt Ticr-X on my skiff....).

I agree with wanting to cast the rod first but if you're looking for the warranty Steve has you covered. I broke a ferrule on a 4 pc 8 wt he built simply casting it because I'm an idiot and didn't have the end two pieces correctly connected. Oddly, it broke on the male section which was unusual and made it more difficult to repair. Steve wanted to just replace the whole section but the blank was discontinued so he fixed it with an insert, test casted it, and sent it back. Rod works beautifully and has taken some nice fish since. Repair was free, only had to pay shipping. Good luck getting that kind of service anywhere else.

Also one thing to note with "lifetime warranties", they are not for your lifetime or the lifetime of the product. They are for the lifetime of the company, so a lifetime warranty from a reputable company that you are confident will be in business a while is worth more than a start up company that may fold in a few years.