Fly Tying
creekfishin

how long does it take yall to tie a fly

That all depends on what you are doing with the wooly bugger. Lead wraps or no lead wraps. Bead head or no Bead head. etc.. etc...

You will find that if you lay out and prepare all the materials that you are planning to use to tie the wooly buggers that you can easily cut that time in half. It just takes practice. Keep at it.

There are quicker times for tying a woolly bugger. But tying times will improve with practice as dexterity and muscle memory improve. Practicing tying a fly properly should lead to improvement in both tying times and tying techniques. Just trying to tie flies fast will probably just lead to more sloppy fast flies. The fish might not care. But by asking the question I would think you probably will.

Unless you are getting paid to tie don't let time become a factor. Take your time and enjoy the process.

Fred

I like Daddy o's response. If I'm just sitting at the table and putzin around it doesn't matter, BUT if I need a dozen or more quickly I prepare the materials , so I can tie a dozen buggers in 1 hour or less.

I like Daddy o's response. If I'm just sitting at the table and putzin around it doesn't matter, BUT if I need a dozen or more quickly I prepare the materials , so I can tie a dozen buggers in 1 hour or less.

an hour ??? for real ? 12 takes 2 days lol

5 to 6 min each with lead wraps and flash. but whay does it matter? are you production tying?

Speed will come, strive for properly tied flies that won't come apart in use first. Learn the proper proportions for your flies. Learn proper thread control techniques. Take some time to develop a plan. Get some books on the basics (libraries are full of fly tying books.) Ask for inter library loans if your local branch doesn't have just what you want. There are a few fundamentals you should get down and reading about them will give you an understanding of what has to come first. Speed is the LAST thing you should be concerned with as your learning.

Since you ask about what time others take, I can layout and tie 18 woolly buggers in about an hour. I tied custom flies for years, but re-filling the shop fly bins was a constant source of income. Not that I ever made any money at it, I usualy traded the flies to the store for materials for my other more profitable custom tying. I use a rotary vise to wind both the body, hackle and ribbing, and I have years and years of practice. The shop I spent many years in had a bumper sticker that read "Time spent fishing will not be deducted from a persons live." I add fly tying to that list. Tying and fishing are two things that should never be measured in seconds, minutes.

i dont tie commercially so time is not a factor, but quality is. whatever time it takes is fine with me.

It is a sad fact that fly tying has a learning curve like everything else. The first thousand or so of your flies will be pain, but only practice makes masters. Sometimes I wish there was some magical shortcut, but of course there is not.

I would say that dozen flies a hour is a very decent tempo for an amateur - 1 hour tying = about a day fishing :)

When I first started 11 months ago it took me 15-20 min. Now I can easily bang out a dozen in an hour. It's rare that I need to tie that fast; I like to enjoy it and take my time. :coffee: