Fly Tying
Rjohn7

I just don't get it.

Traci was getting stuff around to send to good will. and I saw she put her white rabbit fur coat in the box. I asked her about it, and she said it looked like it was from the 80's and was just not fashionable and she was never going to wear it again. so I asked double checked and asked if she cared what happened to it. She said she didn't, so before I dropped the stuff at good will I took out the coat and cut it apart into 6x6 squares and such to dye for dubbing and what ever.

she got home and went off the deep end. can't believe I cut up that beautiful coat. wait the one that was hopelessly out of style that she hated and didn't care about? yeah that one. I don't get it. give a lot of rabbit fur I already paid for to good will and then buy a lot of new rabbit fur to dye, is that what she wanted? evidently. I don't get it. so I guess she's not talking to me, but I have a lot of rabbit fur to dye and as long as she is making no sense and yelling, I'd prefer she not talk to me. still don't get it. mental note, don't salvage anything she is throwing away and put a lock on my studio door so she can't wander in.

This is interesting to me. I have an old leather jacket that I don't wear anymore, and will very likely never wear again. I still like it, but I get that it's out of style, and too small for me now, etc., etc. However, I have many good memories associated with that jacket. I bought it to wear when riding my first and only motorcycle that I ever owned (and dearly loved). I once ended up making out with a woman who was seriously out of my league while wearing it. I loved the way it felt, the way it smelled, even the way it sounded when I moved while wearing it.

Would I consider giving it to Goodwill? Yeah, probably -- I'd hate to see it go, but I would like the idea that someone else might get some use and enjoyment out of it.

Would I allow my wife to cut it up to use for who-knows-what? No way, Jose. Would I be pissed if she did so without asking me first? Yeah, probably. Maybe that doesn't make "sense" from a strictly logical point of view, but my attachment to the thing is emotional, and emotion is the opposite of rationality.

Maybe it was something like that for your wife.

Here's where I "don't get it" either. But my bewilderment is with ALL things, inanimate.

I've never named a car. Never collected "collectibles". Never got attached to a "favorite" shirt (hat, whatever).

There is nothing I would feel upset about if it got destroyed.

I was going to say "its a girl thang" my wife is the same way; but then Bryon said his piece, so ...

I'm almost as free as Mike. I might get peeved about a few inanimate things being destroyed, but I'd soon get past that. Not any animals (other than Herself and the kids) that I would even blink at unless money is lost.

Off the wall thought, maybe she lost the sense of giving that some get with donations?

I was going to say "its a girl thang" ...

... maybe she lost the sense of giving that some get with donations?

laugh.png OR ...

Maybe, she just hoped she'd see some other woman in that fur coat, so she could snicker and tell her friends, "That was mine. I got rid of it because it's so ... passe!"dry.png

Some women are like that. biggrin.png

she had no emotional attachment to it, we bought it second hand and she never wore it. She just hates to see something good wasted. It wasn't even in wearable condition anymore, the hide disintegrated in the dye pot. She came and grabbed some of it and then brought it back a couple hours later, she had tried to make a doll coat for the grand daughter and discovered that she couldn't sew it because the hide just rips. she calmed down and started thinking of things she could use fur for since it was taken apart. Now is disgusted that its really useless. thinking I'm going to order rabbit fur to dye after all. and maybe a few hides for her. bet the grand daughter would love a rabbit fur coat for her doll.

I still don't get it.

Men are visual (IE Rabbit coat=Zonker Strips

Women are mental/emotional.

yeah... think I'm gonna wait several thousand years to use that explanation...

Here's where I "don't get it" either. But my bewilderment is with ALL things, inanimate.

I've never named a car. Never collected "collectibles". Never got attached to a "favorite" shirt (hat, whatever).

There is nothing I would feel upset about if it got destroyed.

I did once name a car. 'Traci's stinking money pit' it smelled like rancid french fries and cost a fortune to keep running "but it is a mustang" was her only defense. it was an eye sore, a money pit and a source of stress. Was so happy when it was finally dead dead dead.

Somehow this all just reminded me that my Xterra needs an oil change, over due actually..

So Staci is her name ? A bit of advice, don't try to figure Staci's position on this out, it's hopeless and impossible for a guy to really figure out any woman. They make 0 sense of just about everything but I wouldn't want to live on this earth without them.. I've learned to just love my wife and to chuckle a lot. She isn't ever going to make any sense and has had 44 years of taking a whack at it since we have been married. I think she has gotten worse actually, from the way she wanders the grocery store yet gets it done, to why she needs pink sandals with bows because she bought a blue skirt, to why I have to leave what I'm doing to get a can of beans out from the cupboard for her when she is the one cooking supper and already in the kitchen 8 ft from the cupboard.. Nothing adds up, nothing, nothing and it isn't ever going to, so just chuckle at it..

By the way, I have 3 adult daughters and two daughters in law, three grand daughters and non of them make any sense either. And the one who is a doctor of psychology is probably the worst of them all lol.

I have attachments to some physical things. My wife passed at age 53 and she fly fished with me. I still have the Fenwick HMG I made for her. I still have the floppy fishing hat and the bandana she wore.

How about the first fly you ever tied? How about an athletic letterman's jacket from high school or college. How about the winter field jacket you wore in the military? I still have the small note book I carried during my surgical internship that had drug dosages and the cranial nerve distributions. Now doctors in training use smart phones but I have the information written in my own hand writing. These are the touchstones of our lives.

I kind of understand people's attachment to items. But I don't have that "gene".

I've got an old German Luger lever action (toggle-locked) pistol that belonged to my Dad. I've kept it for two reasons. One: it's one of the neatest looking pistols ever made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luger_pistol

And two: I don't need the money, yet. I'll sell it as soon as someone offers me enough money for it.

Other than that, I don't have anything from my past. All my military stuff was tossed out the window as I drove off Camp Lejeune. Some of it might still be rotting away in the grass somewhere up there.

I never kept "my first fly". Actually, it's been such a long time ago, I couldn't even tell you what I tied back then. I know I did some cork body bluegill bugs ... but I can't remember if they were the first things or not.

If she doesn’t like to see something good go to waste, Rjohn, what you are really saying is that, in her mind, tying flies is a waste.

Perhaps if you made a bunny costume for the dog it would be ok...