Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cjsnyder1234

renzetti spinning attachment?

renzetti_x8078_special_edition_spinning_

The Spinning Attachment is an accessory that allows the tyer to rotate the vise with the palm of his/her hands.

i have never seen it until now.

@ $35 i dont think i'd buy it for my style of tying. i dont need to speed tie

Slow turning is (very) useful for neatly, evenly-spaced ribbing of all kinds. High speed spinning (as with the Nor) is useful for wrapping thread on a bare hook and (for me) for some dubbing operations. I have a Regal and a Nor. Use the Regal 80% of time. Or maybe even more. But I'm always glad I have the Nor when I do use it. I have a Renzetti too. For $35 bucks I might have to buy that turning attachment.

The thing I really like the Nor for is ............. hard to describe. The technique doesn't have a name yet. But I make a lot of these and use them frequently. I don't think I could make this fly without the Nor. It's a streamer fly tied on top of snelled hook. I change the name of this fly every few months. Right now I'm calling it the Mazooka. I started off calling it the Pig Sticker, but someone pointed out Charlie Craven (I think it's him) uses that name for a tailwater nymph of some kind. Maybe Pig Sticker works for both flies because they're different categories: small nymph and giant streamer.

Mazooka.jpg

Mechanically speaking, the Renzetti can not spin like a Nor-Vise. The Renzetti is OUT-OF-BALANCE. The weight of the jaws throws the whole thing off. You can turn the vise, but it won't free spin like a Nor-vise. The Nor-vise design is like a lathe. Closely balanced, all on a center axis. You would have to mount some sort of counter balance weight on the vise to counter effect the arm and jaws on the Renzetti. Some kind of a weight like in this picture. Even with this weight, it does not free spin as long as a Nor-Vise. But it does spin. Would only flop over once or twice without it. Plus it is terribly out of balance. Bottom line, you have to manually spin the Renzetti. Controlling it at all times. Nor-Vise free spins on its own with one simple twist of the fingers. You can do the same thing on the Renzetti, just a lot slower. The same effect as a figure skater has. When she spins with her arms out, she spins slow. When she pulls her arms close, she spins fast. The tighter you keep the weight to the center axis, the faster and easier it will spin.

post-19822-0-58969900-1417013011_thumb.jpg

In my opinion, this attachment would give you better spinning control if Nor-vise style tying is what you are after.

It's called the Renzetti Au Sable speed crank attachment. Of course it's obviously going to cost more than $35.00. $164.95 for the standard version to be exact. This picture is of the Special Edition version. $195.95 will buy you this baby. I don't want you to think this $35.00 knob mounted on your Renzetti will give you a Nor-vise type system. IT WILL NOT.

post-19822-0-76506000-1417014668_thumb.jpg

Mazooka.

Mazooka.jpg

I would love to see that thing in the water! With all that marabou and fibers laid down on the pull, then flaring on the stop ... well, I'll bet it looks pretty good.

Thanks for the info I figured it would be to off balance with the way the jaws are. just bought a renzetti traveler 2300 and was thinking about getting a few attachments for it. My next vise will either be a regal or nor around the same price. The only thing i would use the nor for would be dubbing brushed but you can get a dubbing brush maker for much cheaper. Also really sick looking fly you have there mike. How do you fish it? looks like it would be a nice trolling fly.