Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lucaseabass

Butcher Nymph

Hi Guys,

I have been continuing to work to my site and today I have updated it posting a new pattern. New, well, it is not new at all, but this simple nymph takes a great part in my fishing, because it is really alluring on many waters and in lots of situations.

I translated the text: for sure mine is not a perfect English, but I think it can useful for the tiers that want to build this fly.

This is the link to the article:

BUTCHER NYMPH

post-50270-0-61583400-1418751511_thumb.jpg

Ciao Luca,

If you would like, I can edit the English in the articles. Translation would take a lot longer, Italian is not a language I studied formally but I could get through it if necessary.

Steve

Many thanks my friends, your nice feedback push me to go on with my work.

On the pages of Moscofilia you can find some more articles written in English, you can reach them by surfing on the A-Z pages and make click on the word English which is beside the name of the fly:not all my pieces are written in English yet.

Steve you have a PM.

Ciao

Luca

Luca, that's a fine looking fly! I would fish it here! I browsed around your website as well. You have some very good looking fly patterns there! Some are styles I recognize, while others are not. I've bookmarked it for future reference too! smile.png

Dear Friends, too many compliments.... If you continue in this way I will translate all the pages of my site in a week!

Well I would like to translate in English also my video, but this is something more complicate for me...

In the next day I will propose to all of you another article.

Ciao

Luca

The "Bloody Butcher" used to be one of Montana's main flies. It's largely forgotten now for some reason. Damn. I'm going to have to tie some of those. Red white and Black. I like the sound of those colors. Seems to me the Bloody Butcher George Grant (Butte Montana tier) talked about was much the same. Except (I think...if I remember correctly) he used peacock herl for the body.

Colin, is that the same fly as the Bloody Butcher pattern used in the UK? In searching around there appears to be variations with that name. Most of them having a silver tinsel body, and some combination of red & black or orange & black.

Colin, is that the same fly as the Bloody Butcher pattern used in the UK? In searching around there appears to be variations with that name. Most of them having a silver tinsel body, and some combination of red & black or orange & black.

I don't know. I'll look it up and edit this post tomorrow. I have some old George Grant (now gone...locally famous tier from Butte Montana) booklets where George talks about the Bloody Butcher. I think Grant knew it was an old English pattern but attributes its local Montana evolution and variation to a Missoula Montana tier named Jack Boehme. I'll see if I can find a dressing for the local version.

Thanks! I know who George Grant & John Boehme were. Seems I recall a version that was similar to the Picket Pin. If I'm remembering correctly, it had a peacock body, and the palmered hackle along the body was a dyed red & a dyed yellow hackle wound together. Of course my memory sucks sometimes so I could be confusing it with a completely different fly. unsure.png

OK. Here's the Bloody Butcher Jack Boehme story. Part of it anyway.

I have ten 8" inch by 6" inch pamphlets George Grant published years ago. The Big Hole River foundation has them for sale now for $20 USA bucks apiece. Fortunately I bought mine years ago, directly from George, when it was $20 bucks for the whole bunch.

Here's what the "From Boehme to Bailey" pamphlet says. "This fly (the Bloody Butcher) is the only variation of the Picket Pin that is sufficiently different to rate a name of its own".....snip snip...."The name Bloody Butcher does not come from the English lake fly of the same name. There is no question it is one of the great Western flies...."

And then there is no dressing or recipe. Ouch. I'll keep looking.

So. Finally. It looks like the Jack Boehme connection I suggest is off topic. It's not related to the nifty fly lucaseabass posted at the top of this thread. I didn't mean to turn this into thread high-jacking. It just happens that way, sometimes. But I did mention the erroneous Jack Boehme association. So now I felt I had to fix it.