Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Questions about spearfishing, fly fishing, snagging, and bowfishing

Okay, lets start with bowfishing and spearfishing. I am doing all my fishing in the Valdez harbor. I'm not sure why, but salmon come in in the fall. I think they lay eggs at that time.

1. Is it legal in saltwater?

2. How to tell a pink from a silver and a pink from a red?

3. Would a 15 pound peak draw weight bow work?

4. In Alaska, do you have to take a class to bow and spear fish?

Okay, now snagging.

1. How long should I wait before reeling in after the hook hits the water?

Finally, fly fishing.

1. What flies would work?

2. Do reds still keep their mouths open all the time?

3. Would on eggs sucking leech work?

Bowfishing and snagging are for "harvesting" fish. It's simply a way to kill food. No sport involved, and obviously, no chance to catch and release.

In all States I am familiar with, bowfishing and spearfishing are illegal ways to take ANY game fish in freshwater. I don't know or care about salt water.

I don't know anything about fly fishing for Alaskan fish. Good luck.

My one time in Alaska - all those years ago I remember reading that game wardens make a point of hunting down and ticketing anyone greedy enough to try snagging salmon in rivers - have no idea of their rules in the salt....

These are questions you should ask your fish and game, it's going to very state to state and Alaska has different regulations for its residents than for out of staters like most of us.

This should answer all your questions regarding bowfishing, spearfishing, & snagging.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishregulations.sport

Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations

How to use this Site

Select a region from the map or nearby text listing and look for region-wide regulations.

Then go to the drainage or area you will be fishing and look for specific regulations.

NOTICE: Emergency Orders (EOs) always supersede the published regulations.

Check for current EOs & News Releases before finalizing your plans.

It's actually legal to spearfish some game fish (pike) in Alaska and many states (other game fish in other states like perch), and it can be very sporting.

You use a decoy, sit quietly for hours, when a fish is lured under the hole you cut through thirty inches of ice you have to very stealthily lower the spear into the water so you don't make a noise or a ripple and then fling the spear.

I'm working on a video about it.

It's actually legal to spearfish some game fish (pike) in Alaska and many states (other game fish in other states like perch), and it can be very sporting.

You use a decoy, sit quietly for hours, when a fish is lured under the hole you cut through thirty inches of ice you have to very stealthily lower the spear into the water so you don't make a noise or a ripple and then fling the spear.

My idea is wait for a salmon to come out from under the platform, then yeat a spear at it.

My idea is wait for a salmon to come out from under the platform, then yeat a spear at it.

Not legal

This should answer all your questions regarding bowfishing, spearfishing, & snagging.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishregulations.sport

Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations

How to use this Site

Select a region from the map or nearby text listing and look for region-wide regulations.

Then go to the drainage or area you will be fishing and look for specific regulations.

NOTICE: Emergency Orders (EOs) always supersede the published regulations.

Check for current EOs & News Releases before finalizing your plans.

Best info you will get right here.