Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gdl82

Fly tyer back from hiatus

Hello All,

I'm a self-proclaimed "spoiled flyfisher" from eastern PA. Living about a mile from the Delaware River and around 2.5 mi from class A troutwater I believe allows me that title. Of course some may disagree, and there are more exotic fly fishing locales, I'm proud to call the gin-clear freestoners and limestoners of PA my home waters.

As mentioned in the subject line, I took a 10+ year hiatus from (serious) fly tying. As I didn't have much time to fish and had a serious stockpile of flies saved up from when I was a college-aged kid with more free time to spend at the vise, I didn't really need to worry about tying anything.

I've recently got back into tying and am very impressed with the new materials on the market. Right now, I'm having a lot of fun tying with Hareline's Ice Dub, which has quickly become my favorite dubbing. Veevus body quill, plummeting rainbow-hued beads, Lively Legz and UV glue are some other new faves of mine and are helping me turn out some productive flies
I was also very active in fly swaps on the Virtual Fly Shop if anyone here remembers that site and I hope to get involved in one of the FTF swaps very soon.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself...
Greg

Welcome, Greg. SE PA is where I live and fish. The Virtual Fly Shop. If I remember correctly it was an off shoot of the FF@ list and in that case you may have gotten a fly or two that I tied in one of those swaps.

Hey greg , I to am blessed with the clear freestones of upstate New York , I'm always on the Beaverkill as long as the levels and temps are good , my other spot is on the west branch of Delaware which I fish year round , if there's a clear enough place on shore through the ice I'll have my Gortex waders on and I'm casting. Maybe we'll cross paths someday

philly, I'm on rt. 611 a few miles north of Easton. I don't remember much about the Virtual Fly Box...I thought it was part of the forum section of the Fly Fisherman magazine website. What I do remember is tying 100 Elk-hair caddis for 2001: A Caddis Odyssey...now that was a swap

I used to get up that way to fish the Delaware when I was younger. I stick closer to home these days. The VFB was originally run by Byard Miller. He might have sold the rights to the name to Fly Fisherman Magazine. If you were in the Y2K caddis swap, I think that's what it was called, then you got one of my flies. When folks ask about how to get proficient tying flies I always mention that swap. Got me on the road to becoming a decent fly tyer. And I can tie the CDC and Elk in my sleep.