Fly Tying
Kudu

tying onto mono for a body

I am currently tying a body onto 30lb hard mason mono and then placing the tip onto a gama offset shank worm hook and tying the exposed portion on the hook. It makes for a fly that rides hook point up. Its sort of a fluke style fly to be fished in weeds. Tying onto the mono presents some problems primarily being able to torque it down to get the body good and tight. I am using glue to help. I also melt a bead onto the mono. Are there any recommendations to assist with this. I suck at and hate posting pics or I would put one up to show what Im talking about but I basically cut a two inch piece of mono, burn one end and place in vice with a bout a 1/3 of an inch of mono sticking out of the vise. I then tie my materials to it. I then remove it from the vise and cut the remainder of the mono off leaving a tag to lash to the offset of the hook shank. As stated the mono bends unlike a hook when I am putting on materials. Tips, etc. appreciated.

So you're tying on mono instead of the hook? Sounds like tying onto an extended body. LoOK up how they tie extended body mayflies. I'm not sure it would work on such a small piece but it's the same basic idea. You would just have to scale it down.

Maybe if you told us what you are tying onto the mono, we would have a better idea.

Another question. Can you put a straight pin into the vise and tie on that?

Sounds like your trying to do one of these.

Nothing is tied on mono, though ... everything is tied onto the "shelf" right behind the eye.

You could tie on a small tube (With a steel pin through the tube and clamped in the vice. Then, when you're done, pull the mono through the tube and tie it to the hook. I'd recommend knotting the mono, rather than just melting it, if you do this.

No I am tying a sexy baitfish. You do tie to the mono and attach to hook. I do like what was posted though. The pattern I found was on a blog casey2 fish or something like that. It's from a link on frankenfly.

I am tying ostrich herl, flash, bucktail onto mono. Attaching to 5/0 hook then Palmer marabou feather and make a head from laser dub and attach eyes

I found the SBS ... and he's using 40# mono. It could be the 30# is a little too "flimsy". If you don't have 40#, you could try doubling the mono and tying onto two strands of the 30#.

Hold the mono while you tie on each material and wrap thread

Kinda like that tutorial is showing

Yes sbs I was using. Thought there might be a tip. I had 30 is why I used it. My fly looks alright just would like it to be better.

My first reaction was similar to Mike's. Tie it on a tube. Just a short plastic one. If you made it about 1/2' long and tied it on the rear portion you could then shave away the bottom half of the front section, tie and glue that into place in the hook. That way you would have the advantage of being able to tie with the tube on a pin in the vice.

Cheers,

C.

If you have 2 vises you can clamp on each end of your mono and pull it tight. I tie streamers on 20# backing using this method.

that's what I was thinking Heavynets. I doubt a fly vise would be sturdy enough to hold the mono stiff... a couple of clamp-on shop vises would work.