Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xvigauge

Various Ribbing Materials

I don't know about you, and maybe it is only me, but I have been having some difficulties with certain ribbing materials. When using tinsel, I have found that it will ofter break while wrapping it around the body. Sometimes it will just loosen after the fly is tied. I have found that some wires are just too "springy" and are hard to wrap. A stripped hackle quill works most of the time but lacks any flash. So now, I use strands of crystal flash almost exclusively for all of my flies that call for ribbing. It comes in lots of colors, it is fairly strong, doesn't unravel, a bunch will last forever, and it is not too flashy nor too dull. Anyway, it works for me, is less complicated to use and my flies look pretty good.

Joe

the only tinsel i have to found to break is the cheap christmas tree tinsel crap. all other tinsels work perfectly fine

nothing is more springy than tungsten thread. its like wrapping a guitar string around the hook shank

Ive never broken Mylar tinsel while wrapping. Ive had it unravel but that was solely operater error.

If you attempt to rib with Flashabou it will often stretch out of shape or break. In a pinch you can twist it around your tying thread & make a rib, but the heavier mylar tinsels are far better for ribbing.

Should be a non issue, if you have French style (oval) tinsel it should be plenty tough, Mylar easily durable enough. I tried Xmas tinsel just because why not, found it to be ok at best if not pulled with much tension. What type of tinsel are you referring to?

Wire in general is easier to use in smaller gauges, and becomes more tricky as it gets thicker and can be more difficult to secure when counter wrapped, if you aren't using wire intended for fly tying it might be a problem.

Crystal flash can be a great rib in my opinion, but more as a flash or irridescence adder, not to define segmentation or add weight.

I'll suggest if you counter wrap wire to add an extra turn before you capture and secure, and don't write off tinsel

I'm wondering what kind of tinsel you are using? I've never had a problem breaking any of the mylar tinsels. I use UTC Mirage tinsel most of the time, but I've used Christmas tree icicles on larger flies without a problem. You do have to develop a light touch, but as fly tiers, we have to do that anyway.

Most of the wire ribbing material, like Ultra-Wire, have copper cores, and wrap easily. I do have some silver jeweler's wire I got from Michaels that has bit more spring to it, but it's still manageable.

I prefer to counter wind all my ribbing, for added strength and have found that binding down a counter wound rib is a 2-hand job. Pull the ribbing down at the tie off point, and take 2 wraps over it. Pull the tying thread snug, and then bend the tag of the ribbing up parallel to the hook shank. Now wrap over the tag end with a dozen wraps to bind it down. It should hold without slipping.

None of the modern tinsels compare, in difficulty, with what was used in the '50's and '60's. That stuff was like coiled springs, and the sharp edges would cut your tying silk in a heart beat!

Ha, ha. I remember using tree tinsel or trying to use tree tinsel instead of ordering a spool of fishing grade tinsel. It broke quite a bit. Never had fishing grade tinsel brake, even the smaller sizes. Very tough.

Jeff

I have a spool of gold craft thread and a spool of silver, which I use. It's tough enough and thin enough for smaller flies. I got it at Hobby Lobby.

Tinsel will unwind if you don't secure it well before finishing it off; and unless you get the really narrow stuff, too wide for my choices.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. The tinsel I have been using is medium tinsel that is silver on one side and gold on the other. Also, I have a couple of spools I got when I was a kid, about 50 years ago, and that stuff will frequently break. It is probably just too ild to use anymore. I have found that the Krystal flash shows segmentation pretty well.

joe

You going crazy, Silver? Why are you bumping threads that aren't that old ... and without actually adding anything???

Not like you at all.