Fly Tying
jd1983

Morrish Mouse - Hook size

I would like to tie up some Morrish mice and was watching the video from In the Riffle. They say that they are using a #10 TMC 8089 and I feel like there is no way that is the right size of the hook in the video. They had to have meant #1s, correct? Other patterns say they use a #4 5263 or equivalent (roughly the same shank length as #1 8089s) but I don't like how narrow the gape is for the material. I tied some on #1 8089s and I think that seems like a good size.

So, you Morrish mouse tiers, what are you using? Anyone using the 5263s without problem?

I'll go with your typo theory. #10 should have been #1. Don't know about those #s or type of hooks but sizes can't be that much different.

I believe the TMC 8089 only comes in size 2, 6 and 10. At least those are the only sizes I can find. I too use Mustad 3366, but in various sizes.

I'll go with your typo theory. #10 should have been #1. Don't know about those #s or type of hooks but sizes can't be that much different.

Or a 1/0

I lied to you all. I used a B10S size #1 which should closely correspond to a 8089 #6, so maybe it is a #10 8089.

JSzymczyk is right, really weird sizing on the 8089 hooks

Hooklength:

#2 - 4,3cm.

#6 - 3,7cm.

#10 - 3cm.

#12 - 2,5cm.

Body length:

#2 - 3cm.

#6 - 2,5cm.

#10 - 2cm.

#12 - 1,5cm.

No idea what that is in inches, sorry.

The tiemco 8089 in a size 2 is equivalent to a B10S in a 2/0. I tie my morrish mice on B10S hooks, because the heavier wire to help it keel out, in sizes 2/0-6.

Thanks Mike smile.png
Found a nice website that will do it for me next time.

Hooklength:
#2 - 4,3cm. = 1 11/16 inch
#6 - 3,7cm. = 1 29/64 inch
#10 - 3cm. = 1 3/16 inch
#12 - 2,5cm. = 63/64 inch
Body length:
#2 - 3cm. = 1 3/16 inch
#6 - 2,5cm. = 63/64 inch
#10 - 2cm. = 25/32 inch
#12 - 1,5cm. = 19/32 inch

Thanks - I had the sane issue with the hook shown on "In The Riffle" - that makes all the sense in the world that it's more like a size 2 or 4. Plan to tie different ones with black, dark brown and gray deer hair. Will be using them for big brook trout and salmon in Maine

I don’t think it really matters, people get into all these hook styles and sizes and lock themselves into a box for a certain pattern.

You didn’t say what you’re going to use them for trout or warm water species.

I’ve tied them on everything from a size 12 popper hook for Bream up to a size 2/0 Bass hook.

They all work.