Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

N Ga trout trip. First fish!

Well Sunday morning my girlfriend and I woke up at 2:45 am, left at 3:30, and met out guide at 8:00! On the water fishing by 9:00 with Bob Borgwat of Reel Angling adventures! We headed up into the Chattahoochee National Forest, and fished a beautiful creek. We got below the stock site, and fished all the way from above the campgrounds, to below. My girlfriend fished a silver Panther Martin spinner, and hooked one stocker rainbow, which came off at the bank. I fished a two fly rig most of the time. A beaded PT nymph with a pink San Juan worm and a split shot under an indicator. Also tried a zug bug with the worm. Hooked and pulled off one trout on that. Later we moved on down stream and I fished a black and grizzly bead headed wooly bugger. One small brown struck it right on top as the bugger swung on the surface after a drift. After that we went way higher up the mountain and fished a tiny creek, maybe 10ft wide. We climbed down 100ft from the road, almost straight down. This time we both fished with 3wts and EHC. Mine was one I tied hers was one the guide bought. (He ties but didn't have a chance before this trip) We would wade slowly upstream and cast to likely looking pools and runs. Usually less than a 15ft cast. We both missed quite a few fish. She got more takes than me but only I connected. She took up the fairy wand quite quickly! Faster than me for sure! There was one spot, when the water ran over a huge flat rock and between two granite outcrops, making a chute. It was deep fast and undercut. The guide had me drift the dry and I did 5 times to no avail. Then I saw two 10+ inch fish at the bottom eating things as they drifted by. Monsters for this creek. The guide didn't take any nymphs down to the creek but I did so I tied on a caddis larva with a big headgear. I hooked both fish, on each of the first two drifts, and they both came off and refused to take again. It was heartbreaking haha. But we had a blast. The hardest part was climbing back the 100ft to the road! image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Pretty little fish. Pretty water, too.

Your girlfriend likes to fish, and goes with you to remote places like that !!!

If you haven't already, consider doing what Beyonce said, " ... put a ring on it!"

Pretty little fish. Pretty water, too.

Your girlfriend likes to fish, and goes with you to remote places like that !!!

If you haven't already, consider doing what Beyonce said, " ... put a ring on it!"

Hopefully one day!

Nice. I have only fished down South one time about 10 yrs ago in North Carolina but those streams down there are just really pretty and the quintessential small wild streams.

...losing half your fly fishing gear!

Half a hemostat, half a vest, 1 piece of my two piece eagle claw 6/7 wt, the spool of my cheap walmart reel, half a WF7wt fly line, half a spool of 10lb mono, and half my flies. (A new reason to tie more. As if I needed one. 😂)

She's getting a fortune! Hahahaha. All in good humor of course.