Fly Tying
troutguy

BWO - Blue Winged Olive Dry Fly

DATE DUE: March 15th, 2016

Nothing frustrates an angler more than when the BWO's are hatching and you don't have the right match. In the Southeast United States they hatch all year long it seems. Trout window shop these flies drifting down the stream with a slow rise, a long look and a tail splash. No takes. If you have an effective one, watch out, the big ones sip them every cast! Every trout in the pool wants it.

Trout where I fish are very selective on these little dries. You can never have just one variety.

They are typically size 14 to 20.

Standard dry patterns, parachutes, paraloops, floating emergers are all welcome. DRIES ONLY. No nymphs.

Tie your best BWO. I bet no two will look a like. Who will have the one fly that kills the big Browns below the hatchery on the Davidson river? I can't wait to see your flies. Don't worry if someone is tying the same style of Blue Winged Olive of pattern.

Mine will be a size 14 or 16 extended body parachute pattern.

First 12 tyers to respond.

1. Troutguy

2. Flytire RECEIVED

3. Western Trout Hunter RECEIVED

4. PJ2 RECEIVED

5. JD1983 RECEIVED

6. DavidR RECEIVED

7. DavidHE RECEIVED

8. Pica RECEIVED

9. Sammothner RECEIVED

10. Adam Saarinen RECEIVED

11. FishingBobNelson RECEIVED

12. Armyflyguy NO RESPONSE

13. Vicrider RECEIVED

All standard rules blah, blah, blah............you know envelopes, postage and such apply. Please ship in a small box so the dry fly hackles are not crushed.

If you have a life event, PM me don't just disappear. Life happens. Otherwise please be on time.

i'm in - bwo sparkle dun (comparadun)

one simple request to all swappers

PLEASE DO NOT put a hackled dry fly in a zip lock baggie. it crushes the hackle

just add your toe tag to the hook and drop them in your shipping box

If you are good with parachute emergers, then I'd be happy to get in on this one. I'll tie a biot emerger that I've been having good luck with this winter.

Parachute emergers are fine. As long as it is a BWO it is great.

Even the olive part is open to interpretation. I have seen BWO's that are dark olive, some army green, some pale green and others almost a golden color with the slightest hint of green (those were amazingly olive and translucent when wet).

Great reference site:

http://www.troutnut.com/common-name/8/Blue-Winged-Olives

The main species I have seen this winter on the tailwaters is dark olive, almost looking black in the correct light. It seems like any shade of mid- to dark-olive will be taken if put in the path of a feeding fish though.