Fly Tying
JoeFish

Which hand do you tie with?

What hand do you tie with?  

223 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Everyone,

I hope i set this poll up right.

I am curious as to which hand you use to tie with? I am right handed. I want to tie a few left handed just to say i can.

I understand that both hands are always working when tying, and that the bobbin eventually goes back and forth between hands. I want to know which hand you wrap it with. Which way does the hook eye point?

Joe

I'm right handed and I hold the bobin with my right hand, hook eye faces the right as well.

Even though I do some things left handed such as when I would play hockey I shot left handed, I just never could write or tie flies or anything detail involved left handed.

I had a class in college, History of Art, that i practiced left handed writing in. I went through letters and numbers, AAAAAaaaaa, BBBBBbbbbb, 1111 2222 3333 4444 and so on, many sheets of paper.

my left hand still writes like crap. got an easy A in the class. Oh well.

Joe

Even though I do some things left handed such as when I would play hockey I shot left handed, I just never could write or tie flies or anything detail involved left handed.

I have heard that Right handed people should play hockey left handed because it puts their dominate hand at the top of the stick where you are controling the blade more. That said I just can't do it, I carry a lefty stick but just can not get used to the grip.

Definitely right-handed. due to some tendon problems in the right hand a few years ago i was thinking of switching to left-handed, but i recovered enough use not to have to do that.

My handwriting with the right hand is ridiculously bad...and the left hand is worse. i type a lot of material. When I lecture my classes, everything gets printed.

Mark Delaney

Never thought about it before. But depending on the pattern I use either right or left. Interesting that it never really registered that I switch hands with the bobbin. I wonder what else I do without realizing it??? This could get a guy in trouble.

JtB

Hi swinks1966,

I tie with either hand depending on the situation. When I'm teaching a class I also tie backwards (right or left)so I can reach across a table to help a student. I prefer tying right handed but do whatever the situation calls for. I also cast with either hand but prefer using the right unless the need for the left comes to the fore. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Righty!

If I try to write left handed you would think it was chinese

I have the same problem, except with the computer! :blink:

BFR