Fly Tying
Arkansas Mike

If You Had To Give Up One--Tying Or Fishing?

If You Had To Give Up One--Tying Or Fishing?  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Marvin Nolte discussed this difficult question in his column "Last Wraps" in the Summer 2000 issue of Fly Tyer.

I just thought it would be interesting to see which we love the most. Thanks for your input.

Mike

For me, that's easy: I'd give up tying. I took up tying to enhance my fishing experiences and I pretty much only tie flies that I plan to fish (or swap). Let me hasten to add, though, I'm really glad I don't actually have to make that choice! Fly tying helps me maintain my sanity during those periods when I can't make it to the water.

i'd give up tying. one of the main reasons i tie, like hairstacker said, is to enhance my fishing experiences. if i didn't fly fish, i wouldn't tie flies. if i could only tie flies i would just mourn over the fact that i couldn't go fish with them.

If I had to choose, I would definitely pick my left leg. Sure, I need it for walking, but I could balance on 1 foot while fishing, and sit in a chair while tying.

But, since that's not a choice, I picked tying. I love to tie....just finished up 2 flies....but I think I'd give that up first because I dream about fishing more than I do about tying. On those days when I'm doing neither fishing or tying, I more often find myself air casting (laugh all you want.....but you know you do it too) more than I find myself air tying.....which can only be my sub conscience telling me that fishing is more necessary than tying.....but, yes.....I do air tie.....sometimes....rarely.....ok...ok...i'll seek counseling.

If I had to choose, I would definitely pick my left leg. Sure, I need it for walking, but I could balance on 1 foot while fishing, and sit in a chair while tying.

But, since that's not a choice, I picked tying. I love to tie....just finished up 2 flies....but I think I'd give that up first because I dream about fishing more than I do about tying. On those days when I'm doing neither fishing or tying, I more often find myself air casting (laugh all you want.....but you know you do it too) more than I find myself air tying.....which can only be my sub conscience telling me that fishing is more necessary than tying.....but, yes.....I do air tie.....sometimes....rarely.....ok...ok...i'll seek counseling.

Ok, I admit, I air cast too. I typically air cast with a motion that will send a big bass bug about 40 feet. Of course, my kids look at me funny and roll their eyes but I never let that stop me.

Like most of the others have already stated, I tie flies to fish with and therefore only do so to fish. I have covered all the learn the technique type flies and now only tie for my area and type of fishing. Since I only fish for crappie, bass, walleye, and steelhead, I have several patterns that I use and this varied species give me the opportunity to utilize most of the many techniques involved in tieing.

Marvin Nolte discussed this difficult question in his column "Last Wraps" in the Summer 2000 issue of Fly Tyer.

I just thought it would be interesting to see which we love the most. Thanks for your input.

Mike

Getting away from it all - fishing - is the object if *my* game.

I would probably give up tying too. But I'm not 100% on that because I love to tie classic salmon flies too, and I don't fish with those. It's a toughie. I get to tie A TON more than I fish but fishing is what keeps me inspired to tie, and I've loved fishing for my whole life, I don't think I could give it up. Luckily it's not a desicion I have to make :)

this is a very cruel poll..I did not vote and hope and pray i would never have to choose either.

shane

I seem to be in the overwhelming minority when i say i would give up fishing first. I love tying, and i actually fly fish because i tie, not the other way around. As long as i could still give flies to friends that they could fish, could still go enjoy the outdoors from time to time, and still have fun picking through necks at the local GM store to find that perfect overlooked gem (found one today, beautiful blue dun neck the color of an oilburner's smoke with plenty of feathers down to 22 or so!) ill keep tying.