Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Ok so, literally on the first cast, I hooked a fish and landed him. He wasn't huge, but still a great start to a day. I thought after that fish, that I would end up having a 20+ fish day, but that didnt happen. It took a lot of work and moving around to find more fish, not what I expected after the first few minutes of fishing.

It was warm enough here in Feb to entice me into charging up the boat battery and start thinking spring things. Then March came along LOL ! Snowed today, supposed to be 9-11 f overnight and 23f for a high tomorrow and 32 Sunday. Early next week they are talking about some massive snow storm or some such thing. So it's refreshing to at least watch someone else out fishin. Here, We are lining up for a repeat of last spring. I enjoy your videos.

Well I got snowed on last week when I went fishing... that video will be up soon as well. This weather can't make up its mind can it? Haha

I thought after that fish, that I would end up having a 20+ fish day, but that didnt happen.

It seldom does. I've always considered catching a fish on the first cast to be bad luck, to the point that I'll deliberately make my first cast to a spot where I don't expect any fish to be. If I somehow end up hooking a fish anyway, I do my best to shake it off without landing it. (Did so one day last month.)

I thought after that fish, that I would end up having a 20+ fish day, but that didnt happen.

It seldom does. I've always considered catching a fish on the first cast to be bad luck, to the point that I'll deliberately make my first cast to a spot where I don't expect any fish to be. If I somehow end up hooking a fish anyway, I do my best to shake it off without landing it. (Did so one day last month.)

While I am not as "preventative minded" as Redietz ... I do think along the same lines. Seems like ...

If I catch a fish within the first 10 minutes or so of starting, I usually end up not catching many more the rest of the day.

If I don't catch one until I've been on the water for half an hour or so, then the rest of the day seems to be more productive.

I credit it to feeding cycles the fish are going through. If I catch one early, then I was unlucky enough to get in on the end of the cycle. If it takes me a while before I hook my first one, then I am there at the right time ... when the cycle starts.

I cannot connect the cycle to lunar tables ... or tides, so I have no idea how to always get on the water at the beginning.

There are those days that I DO ... and catch fish from start to finish. And there are those days when I seem to miss the cycle completely, and don't get a bite all day.

I really hate when you just get one hit towards the beginning of the day that's pretty decent that really gets your hopes up and nothing else.

Yeah, it seems like they were feeding that day in the early morning and later in the afternoon. I got one fish early, one random fish mid day, but towards the end of the day (one hour before dark) I actually ended up getting 4 more... I didnt film all of them, because 2 of them were really small. But that last one wasn't too bad. Not huge, but decent..

It was warm enough here in Feb to entice me into charging up the boat battery and start thinking spring things. Then March came along LOL ! Snowed today, supposed to be 9-11 f overnight and 23f for a high tomorrow and 32 Sunday. Early next week they are talking about some massive snow storm or some such thing. So it's refreshing to at least watch someone else out fishin. Here, We are lining up for a repeat of last spring. I enjoy your videos.

I'm getting a foot or more of snow after buying a new old boat. Last week I was getting it ready for the shad but now I had to stop working on it and retarp it. I'm blaming you for the bad mojo. How dare you start charging your batteries in February.

my wife says I'm superstitious, but I'm just cautious. I've caught a fish on the very first cast of a day a few times over the years, and it pretty much ensures that will be the only fish of the session. I'm with rdietz on this one...

The exception to that rule though, is, if there are a lot of other anglers around. I've had that happen a couple times, once this past fall on a local trout water. I came ashore with my kayak to stretch and eat. There were several shore fishermen chucking hardware and drowning bait. I walked around, ate a sandwich, picked up my fly rod and made a long cast to no particular place and instantly hooked up with a nice rainbow biggrin.png I brought it in, released it, put my rod back in the holder, and paddled away. biggrin.png It was total blind luck, but it didn't seem like it.