Fly Tying

Here's a Few pics of a Walnut fly box I made for a client of mine! I have to take some pictures of a cherry/walnut combo fly box that i have done as well to post up. What do you guys think?

post-48396-0-84888900-1492409937_thumb.jpg

post-48396-0-80294600-1492410204_thumb.jpg

post-48396-0-83486700-1492410211_thumb.jpg

Did you router out the insides, chisel the inner corners?

The top and bottom pieces each look like one piece of wood with no butt or mitered joints.

Nice work.

As I find myself carrying fewer and fewer flies I am becoming more attracted to the fancy wooden boxes. I have a couple of cigar boxes I need to convert but do not like the thin foam linings.

Beautiful work and good wood choice. Piker, those ripple foam inserts are one of my favorite foam insides BUT I don't just stick hooks into them. I use a sharp Exacto knife and cut slits from top to bottom of the ripples, alternating the slits so the lower row lines up between the flies in the upper row. Then I can push the flies into the slits and they are secure and you're not tearing up the foam by pulling hooks in and out of it.

FT15, a guy on another board I'm does boxes like that. He'll get a dozen of so done and put them on our Classified and within a day or two they'll be snatched up at $50-75 depending on wood and box size. He also makes pocket sized cigar holder for two cigars and those are gone the first day since everyone wants to celebrate a big fish or great day with a stogie (not me though).

Mikechell, you are correct. I start with 2" stock rip it in half so that the top and bottom is bookmatched to each other, then router the majority our and finish the final shape with a chisel.

Piker, Let me know if you ever want a wood fly box!

Vicrider, Thank you! I may have to do that!

Very nice FT15!

Vic what forum is that?

I have a cigar box that I painted a tarpon on and posted it but got no offers just complements.

Also recently acquired more wood cigar boxes and need to paint some fresh water stuff on them.

I don't do custom wood work but will gladly paint on anybody's box. No plastic please.

post-44758-0-10141700-1492461504_thumb.jpg

Very nice FT15!

Vic what forum is that?

I have a cigar box that I painted a tarpon on and posted it but got no offers just complements.

Also recently acquired more wood cigar boxes and need to paint some fresh water stuff on them.

I don't do custom wood work but will gladly paint on anybody's box. No plastic please.

You did that? That is awesome!

Sir, you have some talent there!

Salty

Awesome! I've seen a marlin you've done which was equally impressive! What else? Permit, tripletail?

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=97

I believe you can shop and read the classified without joining the forum but think you have to join to PM other members from the classified. This is a very active forum and something I hear people shopping all the time is new/used lines and that forum has a lot of them posted regularly.

Be aware that I am a moderator on there and classified in particular. I am Bassman on that board and unlike Mike with his hands tied I can delete posts,, threads, ban people for a cooling off or for life. Great bunch of people just like any fishing board but a particularly good and active Classified.

If you're offering something for sale on THIS site, it's best to do that in "The Trading Floor" forum ... Not that it HAS to be listed there, just that's where people KNOW you're offering. On any other forum on this site, you might just be showing, and people don't read with enough attention to know you're also offering.

Either way, for newbies reading this ... no selling without minimum 40 posts under your "belt".

Thanks for the info.

FlyTyer15 I want to see that other box you have. I love any kind of solid wood stuff.

Very nice FT15!

Vic what forum is that?

Two thumbs up guys.

Beautiful artwork Salty!

Really nice fly boxes FT15!