Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Excessive Glue with Baitfish Skull Head

All right, so I'm headed to Chile next week for 3 full days of fishing. Tying up some streamer patterns,and apparently I'm not so good at gluing the eyes on cleanly to the skull head. I was wondering if it mattered if the excess was there, or if I could fix it (Maybe a casing of Loon thin?). Thanks

Pics

post-59033-0-62921300-1521848395_thumb.jpg

My first inclination is to say ... the fish won't care.

It's a matter of debate whether the fish even care if there ARE eyes, let alone if they're perfect.

Goop is great for attaching eyes. One good thing is the excess gels and can easily be picked away with a bodkin

Thanks for the input, gents. Ended up scraping it off with a bodkin and the hook-end of my whip finisher. Will make sure to add a light coating of Loon Flow over the head to give it a shiny appearance, as well as add some durability. Can't wait to get out there, you'll definitely be seeing a report from me in just over a weeks time!

Flats

The "smell" of most sealants and glue is the solvent carrier. Once that has evaporated away, there's very little, if any smell left.

Granted, most of the wild kingdom can smell magnitudes better than we can. But a fish will attack before it ever "gets a whiff" of the glue.

And they let go for reasons we can only guess at, I'd guess feel ... which again means smell's got nothing to do with it.

Thanks, Mike. I added a light coating of UV Loon Flow to encase the head, and it gives it a nice shin appearance (doesn't matter). More importantly to me, it kind of covers/hides any of the leftover dried-up glue (which probably also doesn't matter lol).

Flats

--- I am getting pretty damn excited...

Tiny drop of glue in the centre of the hole for the eye, place eye carefully. Use edge of scissors or something to press them in for a few seconds. You really don't need much glue at all

Thanks, I figured that out after a couple tired lol. Just got a little messy

It actually really doesn't matter if there's excess glue. After a couple minutes of fishing they were spot clean...

Although probably not good for the environment I must say