hairwing

June flies from the bench

Combo nymph...body =5mm

white thread

wooduck tail

cinnamon turkey herl body

trimmed beaver fur clump thorax...smile.png

013_zpsd1a1950e.jpg

Looks nice and buggy. Does it have a name?

Most of the flies that I tie are based on stream samples from the local waters I fish. This particular fly will do a fare job imitating baetis and some ephemerella. Most have a speckled tail, a body with fringed gills, and when they are ready to hatch, their thorax turns dark.
I started off the thread calling it a "combo nymph". Your free to interpret the recipe anyway you'd like and give any fly like it you tie a name.
The way I tied the fly is a result of past tyers and flyfishers who influenced me through their books, like Schwiebert ,Frank Sawyer, Swisher and Richards and Poul Jorgensen.

By cinnamon turkey herl, do you mean that you wrapped some of the cinnamon colored fibers from the tip of a turkey tail feather?

By cinnamon turkey herl, do you mean that you wrapped some of the cinnamon colored fibers from the tip of a turkey tail feather?

You like this one, but don't adhere to the materials and consider the form and size of the fly that you would find in your home water.
Look at it like a "pheasant tail nymph" with a few adjustments. The fur thorax is a simple clump tied atop the hook shank and trimmed to look the way you see fit to imitate what's in your streams.
I have found that my most effective flies have what they call a "halo" effect...there is a glow around the fly and the body.
I used about 5 fibers of the turkey for the body. Here are all the things I used to tie this fly..........
016_zpsae9cd092.jpg

Okay so you have a whole turkey feather dyed cinnamon, thanks.

No, the turkey feather is not dyed it is natural. It's not really important.

Please.....do not get hung up on specific pattern materials. Imitate the insects by form and shape that you find in the water that you fish !!!

What Hairwing has given us here is a perfect example of imitative fly fishing. Look at what's in the water and tie something that looks like it.Just because you don't know the Latin name for it doesn't mean you can't imitate it. Observation will beat any pattern list.

Here is very generic dry fly that is based on the original dry Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear (which was a dry) with the wing omitted.

GRHE_0001_zps6fd1743c.jpg

Cheers,

C.

THEWEIGHT-1-_zpsbc19b154.jpg

THE WEIGHT - TroutLegend Competition “J” Hook, #8…

HVKCASELESSCADDIS-1-_zpsd0e16594.jpg

KLINK’s CASELESS CADDIS LARVA – Hans Van Klinken/Variant - Czech TroutLegend Competition Hook "C", #8 - #16...

HOCDLARVA-2-_zpsb4e83660.jpg

HOMELESS OC DRIFTER (Larva) – TroutLegend Competition “J” Hook, #8…

PT/TB

Emerging midge pupa(?) foam sits on top of water and the fly is just subsurface, like a dandelion emerger.

78E60F13-5B63-482E-A26E-8FA4A20018F6_zps

SCULPIN INTRUDER

tied this last night fished it this morning.

got a 12" rainbow & a 6lb golden redhorse sucker.

saw the sucker come out of a hole & up off the bottom to smash it!post-20665-0-46839500-1401814413_thumb.jpg