Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Turkey feathers

What is the stuff that is sprayed onto turkey feathers to glue them together?? Like the ones seen here

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=4446s&adv=401944&[email protected]&cm_mmc=orvisemail-_-US_PROD_REVIEW_TRIGGER-_-01-_-BOD_PROD

They use feather-tough fixative, but there must be a simple alternative to it

Thanks

What about using a fake turkey fan like for strutting Tom decoys, just cut the synthetic material, and use it as a wing case.

There's one way to find out! Try it and see...who knows, you may be on to something. Let us know the results!

Hey Fish for Life,

You got it. It smells a bit strong, so I'd do it in a ventilated area.

Some people use 3M Spray Adhesive. I have a friend who sprays his turkey feathers with the stuff. I think it's called 3M 77.

You can pick it up at most any hardware store or K-Mart, Walmart and such. Just be sure and spray it outside. If you have a scrap 2X4 piece you can drill some 1/4" holes in it and stand a feather in each hole. That way you can spray a pair or a half-dozen pair all at the same time. You just leave them in the holder for a few minutes and they'll dry without sticking to each other or anything else. Doesn't have to be Krylon - any clear acrylic spray will work.

5745658.jpg

I've always used Krylon Fixatif for feathers. It doesn't leave a glossy finish when dry. It probably dries just as fast as the acrylic coating does since it only takes a few minutes.

Regards,

Mark

On the rare occasion that I need to paint/seal feathers so that I can paint eyes on them, I use Flex-Seal. It comes in a small bottle and is listed in many materials catalogues. It's also very handy for "hardening" spun and clipped deer head bugs, while also making them absolutely waterproof if you need that element in your finished product... Here's a pic of the Razor-cut Mullet with a Flex-Sealed head...

post-30940-0-60035300-1397911598_thumb.jpg

If you're only doing a few flies like crickets or hoppers at a time Dave's Flexament can be applied with bodkin or if you're using a pair of whole turkey feathers to have a double thick wing a Sally Hansen Hard as Nails small brush makes even application faster . It just takes wax paper to squeeze the excess out after matching them up or a Flexament thinner finger bowl. Depends on when they will be cut to size if not straight off the stem when sometimes will curl. Haven't found a mass production method of supporting cut wings to spray together as alligator clips & clothes pins only go so far to clamping the ends. A whole turkey fan tail might take a can of fixative per side. Some prefer to make the wings all at one time to just tie in on the flies as needed; or dub in a cricket or hopper body, tie in the wings, glue together & let dry. The wings will split with too much thread tension or if moved too much. Finish just all the fly heads after all the wings have dried together on all the partially completed flies.

You can pick it up at most any hardware store or K-Mart, Walmart and such. Just be sure and spray it outside. If you have a scrap 2X4 piece you can drill some 1/4" holes in it and stand a feather in each hole. That way you can spray a pair or a half-dozen pair all at the same time. You just leave them in the holder for a few minutes and they'll dry without sticking to each other or anything else. Doesn't have to be Krylon - any clear acrylic spray will work.

5745658.jpg

Good idea….got to get some, thanks for the info.