Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alpine4x4

What hackle are you using for classic patterns?

Wondering what is your guys' favorite hackle for tying classics like the Thor, GBS, etc. I've been using Schlappen and Chinese necks mostly with good results. Theres one pattern that is throwing me for a loop and thats the Kalama Special which calls for Golden Badger, quite rare to find a Golden Badger colored Chinese neck! I've used Indian Rooster for it, but the barbs are very sparse. Was thinking of trying a Whiting Bugger Pack, but not sure if I'll get the length I need for the size 2-4 flies. I've also thought about using the Whiting American Rooster saddles. If anyone has a source for Golden Badger for fly sizes 2/0-8 please post them and let me know what other hackle your using for your patterns with success.

I generally use hen saddles or Chinese necks. For the Badger, you might try strung saddle hackle. It can vary in size and quality, but there are usually enough usable feathers and it's cheap. It might not go to 2/0 though.

I generally use hen saddles or Chinese necks. For the Badger, you might try strung saddle hackle. It can vary in size and quality, but there are usually enough usable feathers and it's cheap. It might not go to 2/0 though.

I'll second these thoughts. Usually you can find some hackle for that size fairly easily as well. The american saddles are great for classic streamer patterns but lack the taper needed for the full dress stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I havent been able to really find a true "Golden Badger" strung hackle that is readily available. Some of the "Badger" that I am finding though is actually close enough to Golden to sub.

I mostly use strung right now, but am slowly acquiring necks/saddles for my go to colors.