Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Ekich Bobbin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:42 AM

For Christmas my darling wife gave me an Ekich model S bobbin holder. Upon opening the box, even though the frame is plastic it has a feel of quality and it fit my hand like a glove. It should for $70.

The tube is polished stainless though ceramic inserts are available with the high end holders. It gives you the ability to use about 2 feet of thread without resetting which is easily done. Just pull the spool off a little and the spring will relax then slip the spool back on. It took longer to type that sentence then it does to perform the task.

I tied nymphs with it using 70 denier thread. I have a tendency to be a little heavy handed and when I use the 70 denier threads I seem to break it at least once per fly. I broke it 3 times on this one.

Since it had been awhile since I have tied nymphs on three occasions I forgot to add materials. I unwrapped what I had done, placed the bobbin where I wanted it and added what I had missed. The automatic return is great.

After the first fly I checked the tube for any nicks and confirmed my suspicions, it was completely operator error, duh. Then I remembered what I had seen on the website and in a YouTube video. The spring tension is set to handle 17 ott thread.

I tied a second fly and relied strictly on spring tension of the bobbin holder. It is amazing how little tension will hold materials on the hook. I did not break the thread.

As of this moment I am very happy with it. I don't have to load a proprietary spool. It will retain the factory tension on the spool and will accept the common spools from most any manufacturer.

The only other thing I need to get used to is when I whip finish the fly. I need to reset the tension just by slipping the spool off a bit and replacing it or come up with a way to hang it.

Time will tell if the reason I like it is because it's new to me or if it really is worth the price of admission.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#2 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

For Christmas my darling wife gave me an Ekich model S bobbin holder. Upon opening the box, even though the frame is plastic it has a feel of quality and it fit my hand like a glove. It should for $70.

The tube is polished stainless though ceramic inserts are available with the high end holders. It gives you the ability to use about 2 feet of thread without resetting which is easily done. Just pull the spool off a little and the spring will relax then slip the spool back on. It took longer to type that sentence then it does to perform the task.

I tied nymphs with it using 70 denier thread. I have a tendency to be a little heavy handed and when I use the 70 denier threads I seem to break it at least once per fly. I broke it 3 times on this one.

Since it had been awhile since I have tied nymphs on three occasions I forgot to add materials. I unwrapped what I had done, placed the bobbin where I wanted it and added what I had missed. The automatic return is great.

After the first fly I checked the tube for any nicks and confirmed my suspicions, it was completely operator error, duh. Then I remembered what I had seen on the website and in a YouTube video. The spring tension is set to handle 17 ott thread.

I tied a second fly and relied strictly on spring tension of the bobbin holder. It is amazing how little tension will hold materials on the hook. I did not break the thread.

As of this moment I am very happy with it. I don't have to load a proprietary spool. It will retain the factory tension on the spool and will accept the common spools from most any manufacturer.

The only other thing I need to get used to is when I whip finish the fly. I need to reset the tension just by slipping the spool off a bit and replacing it or come up with a way to hang it.

Time will tell if the reason I like it is because it's new to me or if it really is worth the price of admission.

My prediction- if you use rotary much, you will find it is worth the price of admission! As one of my friends' said recently, a great tool disappears in your hand.

Using my Ekich on 12252017, while test driving a Nor-Vise, I encountered a minor problem- Ekich spindle- o ring retainer did not want to fit in a Veevus spool. Work around was sharp drill bit, one size up, to enlarge spool diameter. Conclusion: All spools not created equal, but pretty sure the the Ekich line is...

Hoping others ring in here

Edit>Not dissing the Nor-Vise spools either, and Norlander auto bobbins run like a dream, too, But this thread is about the Ekich and I am just lucky to have both... Carry On
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#3 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

Plumbers Grease, carefully and Sparingly applied, can make huge difference in how certain brands of spools, e.g. Veevus, will smoothly run in the Ekich.

There is a very good Q& A on Faruk's website. It does not cover the exact modifications I did, while coring out the non-conforming spools. It covers modifications to other spools in good detail.

Mr. Ekich will also retro fit his models to use only the non-conforming spools, but that is not likely to be a temorary fix.

Got this straight from the proverbial "horse's mouth".... *

* Side note. This ought to make for some exciting international translation; But No, I did not call my Ontario friend a caballo....✌️
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎