Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Suggestions for tying Sparkle yarn on bottom of hook curve

Deep Pupa

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SpokaneDude

SpokaneDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:13 PM

So I tied my 5th LaFontaine's Sparkle Deep Sparkle Pupa, and I have just one problem:  what is the secret to tying the Sparkle Emerger Yarn (or any frayed material) on the underside curve of the hook?  I have a HMH Standard vise (completely rotary), but can't seem to tie inside the curve of the hook...  I've tried "pinching" the yarn, but just can't seem to get the tying thread to grab it properly, if at all.

How do you tiers do it?

SD

#2 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

Start closer to the eye with the hook upside down, then wrap your thread back into the bend while pulling the Antron up.
cb27

#3 mvendon

mvendon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

You tie the two bunches of combed yarn to the sides of the hook, not the top and the bottom. It's way easier that way. 

Regards,

Mark

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

yup tie the clumps on the sides

why tie down the bend??

An ostrich’s eye is bigger than it’s brain. I happen to know some people that have the same thing.

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds. Somedays i feel the same way

A "grammatical pedantry syndrome" is a form of OCD in which suffers feel the need to correct every grammatical error that they see. Guess who?

#5 SpokaneDude

SpokaneDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

Thanks all... mvendon: that works like a charm... I just need more practice!  :-}

SD