Fly Tying
bowmike

My new favorite material to tie with....Coyote

This is my new favorite material to tie with. I had bought a coyote mask at a Pennsylvania Sport show for 5.00. You can find them on ebay for that or cheaper. You can get really great paterns from different areas of the mask.

I use the hair and the forehead for nymphs. The all white are just a basic streamer that is tied from the hair on the back of the mask and the outer edges.The orange/brown is the same patern with the center hair to the back of the mask. I tied a coyote clouser as well that looks to be deadly.

The material for dubbing on the nymphs i pull from the ears and forehead area.

I am really happy with these so far. Now i just have to get out and catch some trout with them.

Hope you all enjoy. PM me for details on pattern recipes.

post-43467-0-00147600-1358515952_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-72333800-1358515968_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-36133900-1358515984_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-62518300-1358516001_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-86899600-1358516020_thumb.jpg

Nice flies. I picked up a coyote tail a while back and subbed it for red fox on clousers (Coyotee Clouser?); worked great.

Regards,

Scott

I picked up a small patch of what I think is coyote body hair and it is quite soft and flowing. I have not yet used it except on a Crazy Charlie type fly that may I won't get to use for a while. It does look like some good stuff though.

Nice flies. Coyote is one of my favorites as well. I like the fact that there's such a wide range of colors. Great for crab/shimp saltwater flies. I'll bet you could do some nice crayfish with it.

Nice flies. Coyote is one of my favorites as well. I like the fact that there's such a wide range of colors. Great for crab/shimp saltwater flies. I'll bet you could do some nice crayfish with it.

Already in the process on the crayfish. I am thinking of using the orange for claws instead of marabou on my current crayfish pattern.

post-43467-0-42117500-1358528072_thumb.jpg

Yelpin' Yimmany.........our dog Poppy says, "Come any closer Willy and you'll be fly tying material".

They played in the yard for about 1/2 an hour a couple of weeks ago.

003-2_zps75da032e.jpg

We have lots of coyotes here in Kansas. I see them in town too. They go to the park in the winter to kill the ducks. I go pedeter calling with my older brother to harvest coyotes.

It is very exciting. One 15-30 second set of calls, sit back, and they come running instantly. And I mean instantly. Drop coyotes in as little as minutes from the time you sit down. Sometimes two.

Buy the way, for anyone who knows nothing of this sport, you use a call that sounds like a wounded rabbit.

I got a ton of it. And when I ever use it up, (which will be never) I can always shoot more.

Hairwing,,,,,,,,,,,,Thats a knarly picture!!!! Thats a pretty coyote too. Nice thick fur.

Here in Kansas sometimes the coyotes get the mange. They look like chupacabra. LOL,,but thats a pretty one. We also have different colored coyotes too. Some more brown, some more silver, some more orange and some are real dark. The real dark ones are the coolest.

Nice flies. I picked up a coyote tail a while back and subbed it for red fox on clousers (Coyotee Clouser?); worked great.

Regards,

Scott

I have a coyote tail off a dog I called to his doom at the receiving end of my hunting buddy's .22-250. I can't explain it, but Coyote Clousers flat out crush fish in my local lakes and ponds. I catch everything from bass to saugeye to crappies and redears on them. One good bushy tail is a lifetime of material.

I love coyote they bring a good price at the fur buyers and they make some great flies here in Michigan they have some really thick coats in the winter so the amount of dubbing is incredible but they aren't stupid it takes some time in the woods to learn to call them and them ecallers will do nothing for you I see guys carrying them out and just laugh because our coyotes don't fall for them but a good dose of rotten steak juice will get them interested every time

The clouser i tied were tied from the mask. It is very smooth and will move in the water like marabou. What is the tail material like. I am assuming stiff?

The clouser i tied were tied from the mask. It is very smooth and will move in the water like marabou. What is the tail material like. I am assuming stiff?

More so than than the mask hair, but not as stiff as bucktail.

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

Regards,

Scott