Fly Tying
jjs89yj

Deer Hair Razor Blade Tool

Hi Guys,

At a tying night this week, a guy had a tool that looked like a bobbin, but it held a double-sided razor blade. It had a collar on it, and as you moved it, it curved the blade. I forget what it was called or who made it, but i think it was made somewhere in the NE. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a link?

Thanks!

Yep, made in PA. About $15. Thought about grabbing one to sit with some other seldom used tools. Seriously, the simple design suggests the guy has an engineering or toolmaking background. Might be a great tool, but I'm okay with d/e blade in hand. Still on the fence about it. I hear they hand them out at the urgent care center when business slows.

I use a pill bottle. Costs nothing and is very efficient. Just stick the blade inside the mouth of the bottle and you've got a hair-cutting tool that's curved nicely.

Hi Guys,

At a tying night this week, a guy had a tool that looked like a bobbin, but it held a double-sided razor blade. It had a collar on it, and as you moved it, it curved the blade. I forget what it was called or who made it, but i think it was made somewhere in the NE. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a link?

Thanks!

You had nothing to write down the guys name and number? A cell phone to take a photo?

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

You had nothing to write down the guys name and number? A cell phone to take a photo?

I didn't think about it until after I left. I tried searching online for the tool but didn't see anything like it so I figured I'd post up here.

Stonefly ... model sf29 hair-trimmer

s-l225.jpg

This was the only thing I could find ... on E-bay or any other site.

Unlike a pill bottle or the stonefly gadget, either of which hold the blade in a fixed radius, the tool in question allows a range of adjustability from shallow to deep radius. The question thus becomes "is this of additional benefit?"

Unlike a pill bottle or the stonefly gadget, either of which hold the blade in a fixed radius, the tool in question allows a range of adjustability from shallow to deep radius. The question thus becomes "is this of additional benefit?"

I've got two different sizes of pill bottles. One advantage of the pill bottle is the back end is protected from injury. One disadvantage is they're not infinitely adjustable to different radiuses. If I did a lot of hair bugs, I might be a better judge of their worth.

Another safety advantage I just thought of is with a pill bottle, you can slip the blade in the bottle and cap it when not in use. It's not exposed like the one in the OP.

Ah, now I see it, that's a pretty neat gadget. As long as the blade doesn't spring out if you bend it too far, it looks to be a handy tool.

I bet you can make one with coat hanker wire and a pair of wire bending pliers. maybe slip a threaded nut over the handle end and slide it up and down to curve the blade. Just thinking out loud.