Fly Tying

Looking for 1/32 inch foam sheets. I am wanting to tie some frogs using 1/32 inch thick foam for the body. I have not found any place to buy it. Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Try looking for Razor Foam or Micro thin Foam. Would either of them do?

If not you can make a cutter from a guitar string and few other bits and pieces that will cut Plastazote blocks to any thickness you desire.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers,

C.

Look for 1mm craft foam. Seller "wandy-foam" sells a dozen 12x18" sheets for $10 on ebay. 1/25" vs 1/32" isn't much difference.

If you're tying frogs, I think you'll go through unnecessary $$$ in the comparatively small packs of razor or micro thin foam.

Check fabric stores like Joann Fabrics in the kids craft section. Foam sheets in a couple sizes and many colors (including sparkly) can be found less than $1 sheet

Have to concur with the craft store (and Jo-Ann Fabrics) recommendation. I've found every kind of foam (from too small to too thick) and at considerably cheaper prices than any of my materials supplier (mostly wholesale) when I've needed foam for Gurglers and other uses.

Here's a tip for anyone into doing closeup photography of flies or other items.... those same foam sheets make great backgrounds (and you can experiment with different color contrasts by simply changing sheets as you work up something for publication.... Here's a few pics to illustrate the point.

post-30940-0-64715700-1460458638_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-45590600-1460458650_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-49125300-1460458683_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-42995800-1460458729_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-42982600-1460458766_thumb.jpg