Fly Tying
Mike West

Mustad Keel hooks gone :( Replacements..?

I'm sure you guys have known this but I just found out when I went looking for some. I'm bummed!

I have a bunch back in San Diego in a storage shed but they aren't doing me any good now. Found one pack on Amazon in size 6.

Went looking for a replacement and found these.

http://penhooks.com/products/g-hook

Looks like the the G hook would work.

Any other ideas for a replacement for the Mustad Keel hook?

I want to tie a version of this for a local pond that is just full of weeds. I use to have pretty good luck with it tied in Blues & Reds.

post-56139-0-23172200-1461251761_thumb.jpg

You could probably get by with a long shank bend back ... or go with an articulated pattern.

Yeah, your best bet is probably going to be to approximate the shape by buying some straight eye streamer hooks (probably Mustads if you can find them) and setting a slight bend in the shank up near the eye.

How big are you looking for?

I've tied on a VMC 6319 / 7319 worm hooks. They have a long front section so an easy hook to use for tying, but 1/0 has been the smallest size I've seen.

I was fortunate to find some stainless Eagle Claw keel hooks several years ago. I tie on them, but guard them like they're gold. They haven't been produced in many years either. biggrin.png

The worm hooks work well for bass flies & are still being produced so I go with them primarily.

Would something like this work for you. Mustad 3777br.

post-309-0-91381000-1461281875.jpeg

The only place I've found them is Jann's Netcraft where they're listed as a live bait hook. One of the few Mustads I've found that are sharp right out of the box.

get the owner mutu light circle hooks and put a bend in them near the eye to tie to will work perfect for that pattern, these guys http://www.cabelas.c...4Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Won't they break if you try to bend them? I think I would buy the Penetration hooks before I would try bending Owners. For the price, I don't think I would chance it.

I used to bend some of the older Mustads, but these newer hooks don't bend well IMO.

OK. That surprises me. I've broken several Owner & Gamakatsu's by accident, and figured they would break before they would bend.