Fly Tying
Robert73

new tyer

Hi Rob probably your best bet is to find some places on line like Fly Shack for hooks and other things that are standard but for feathers which involves colors I like to have them in hand and actually see them. If you can get to a fly show you will have a good selection .

There really should be a pinned topic for this in the beginners forum. it comes up frequently. There is no one best place for everything. If you have a local fly shop, that is where I would start. It might not be the cheapest but you can see what your buying. There are many good online sellers.

Here is a previous thread:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=82164

http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/

Is having a PARTICULARLY good sale right now. I honestly don't know if it's just for E-mail subscribers or if it's open to anyone. His prices are super low anyway, but now it's ... well, go see. Nothing but synthetic materials, Robert, but you'll get a few years supply for less than $40.00, easily.

Oh, and welcome to the site.

Mike is sending you to the right spot. IF he still has his gift boxes for sale you will get more goodies for your money than you will anywhere on the net. Only a great catch at an estate could even begin to compare to the gift box supplies.

Start with a local fly shop. Not the cheapest but has stated earlier, you can see what you are getting. You can also ask the folks that work there any question.

Cabela's and Bass Pro are OK for materials and tools.

For cheap you could try the craft stores. You can get sheet foam, pheasant tails, peacock, and died turkey flats. You can get packages of craft feathers which is usually a mix of quniea and partridge as well as packages of marabou. Go to the knitting section and if you are lucky you can find chenille. Roving wool makes a great dubbing for nymph bodies.

You will also find other places for cheap materials and that's part of the fun.

When I find myself getting ready to do an order I'll do a spreadsheet and look at the same orders from 3-4 different places, then after checking shipping costs I go with what's the cheapest.

One thing I found with JStockard is that a lot of the fur pieces are only 2x2 to 3x3.

I would strongly recommend starting at a fly shop. Don't be afraid to tell the person who works there that you are totally new and just ask every question that pops in your head even if you feel like it might sound dumb. When I started tying I was living in Minneapolis and I went into a great fly shop there called the MN Fly Angler and just bugged the heck out of those guys haha. Its nice being able to hold the materials in your hands and compare things. I've been tying for 7 years and I still get frustrating sometimes buying materials online and end up with the wrong stuff. Once you get your feet wet I think a nice blend of fly shops plus hunting for good deals or hard to find materials online is a great way to go.

Good luck!

Fly tying material is dirt cheap with the exception of capes and exotic feathers but I don't use exotic stuff or expensive capes. Capes last me a long long time. I also prefer looking at and holding stuff before I buy so I buy very little online. It's worth a couple dollars more to see and feel the material.