Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Where have all the swappers gone?

low forum activity

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:04 PM

Sent some flies in a small box for a swap.  The meister was unhappy with that. 
Said he had to tear the box apart to get it open.
Since I have many more flies than I will ever use, I am not swapping much.

Rick

If you are referring to me and one of my swaps you were in thats not the whole story now is it.

#17 mikechell

mikechell

I love Florida Summer !!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,438 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:05 PM

I participated in two swaps, the first year or 2 that was on this site.  I got good to great flies from each, but neither one ended when they were supposed to. 

First thing that bothered me was the LONG time before the due date.  The due date wasn't announced until after everyone was signed up. I figured, 12 flies ... at most, a due date of one month.  But instead, they were 2 months out.  

Then, on top of that extended time, both were delayed by a few late tiers.

I don't do swaps anymore.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#18 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:53 PM

As for myself I have been really busy with work and raising 2 young kids; I will still enter some swaps from time to time hat have a decent due date if at least 6 weeks out as that works with my family but all of these swaps with a 4 week due date during holiday months I will have to pass on. I still planning on running a couple of swaps with 6-8 week due dates in the future.

Mikechell- just an fyi, the reason why most SM dont announce a due date upfront is because you dont know how many flies to tie until the swap fills and if you announce a due date upfront and then swap doesn fill you typically tell everyone to tie x amount of flies and then set due date.

#19 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:07 AM

atx, one of the problems with due dates too far off is that people have all that time to get to them and at last minute they get started, need to order some feathers, and next thing you with two months to get 'em done there's two people coming in late. I'm retired and an empty nester so for me it's not a problem but I still sometimes put things off too long. I get into tying too many of my own whims and ideas and forget the swap themes. Once the swap is full a due date leaving 4 full weekends in there should be adequate or a person shouldn't sign up. They can wait for the two month deadline swaps to show up.

#20 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,438 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:07 AM

I know the "reasoning" behind the 2 month due date, ATX, I just don't understand it.  Unless they're extremely difficult flies, most tiers can whip out 12 flies in one, maybe two sittings.

In both of the swaps I joined, I had the flies tied the first week ... then, basically, forgot all about the swap until I got the flies.  I don't have A.D.D. ... but I do have too many projects to stay interested in a 2 month waiting period.

I like reading about the final flies ... but just glance at everything between the sign up and the end.

Barbed hooks rule!

#21 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

I've been doing them since joining the site maybe 18 months ago, so I only can say I'd encourage more to join them and to swapmeister them. It's definitely my favorite part of the site. The quality of workmanship is always inspiring, I find I tie better for swaps than I do for myself, and I find fishing the swapped flies even more fun than fishing my own. As evidence of this, I've gone to far greater lengths retrieving snagged swap flies than I should. Last trip I literally went neck deep getting my hand deep down to save Zip's Caddis pupa, and with a very cold back and a big smile felt it was well worth it.
cb27

#22 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,438 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

I've been doing them since joining the site maybe 18 months ago, so I only can say I'd encourage more to join them and to swapmeister them. 

Agreed.  I guess I didn't make it clear in my posts.  Swaps are not "my cup of tea" ... but they are a good way for beginners to hone their skills.  Taking on a challenge and testing your abilities.  As chugbug states.

Barbed hooks rule!

#23 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

Not my point at all, actually
cb27

#24 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:51 AM

I havent been here all that long so I dont know what the swaps were like in the past but it seems to me there are plenty of swaps going on all the time.

Seems like I only go two weeks without being involved in a swap somehow, either hosting or participating.

Id join in more but I dont do trout type flies anymore.
Has to be warm water or salt water for me.

#25 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

I only have participated in one swap, the last Christmas one. I did receive some great flies and even some extra goodies, and that was great. But I never found who received my flies. I had not realized how much it would matter to me to know how my flies would do for someone else, somewhere else. Turns out it was a huge turn off.
Bimini15

#26 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:28 AM

Sorry to hear that Bimini.

I am still here, and waiting for an appropriate warm or saltwater swap to come up.

I rarely fish for trout, so have an over abundance of these patterns at the moment.

The logistics of hosting swaps down under is a bit much at the moment, because of the necessary lead time, cost for all participants, and the increased risk of peoples flies going missing.

Dave Little
Club President, North Queensland Fly Fishers Inc.
www.nqflyfishers.com

#27 MuskyFlyGuy

MuskyFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

A month ago we had snow on the ground and ice on the lakes, so now it's lawn, gardens, grandson, and oh yes, fishing. Flies are tied, only to replace lost ones. What I find gratifying about the swaps are expanding my perspective about what people are fishing and when people post a fish with a fly that I have tied. I try to do the same, but too frequently go to the same milk run of spots and use the same flies. Five days in a row of temperatures in the 90s. Hope to start getting out when if cools down.
Tom

#28 Kudu

Kudu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

Bob
I did an easy one because of your post. Life gets busy in summer but it sure is my favorite time of the year. You are more than welcome to join.

#29 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:36 PM

Bob
I did an easy one because of your post. Life gets busy in summer but it sure is my favorite time of the year. You are more than welcome to join.

Thanks for the invite, but I don't fish for panfish.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#30 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:04 AM

I don't get in here as often as i used to..I retired and now find i have even less time then i did when i was working!  I am just going to have to slow down a bit and get back in here time to time..Used to do all the Salmon and Steelhead swaps and kinda miss doing them!!

The graveside service just barely finished, when there was massive clap of thunder, followed by a tremendous bolt of lightning, accompanied by even more thunder rumbling in the distance.
The little old man looked at the pastor and calmly said,

'Well, she's there.'

After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, he had some awful substance left with which he made a scab."

"The scab sells his birthright, country, his wife, his children and his fellowmen for an unfulfilled promise from his employer."

--- Jack London