Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

The SCUD/Sow Bug swap + pictures

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#16 netabrookie

netabrookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:11 PM

Nick, I'm not sure what I will tie but I will think of something and get started in a few days. The weather is looking promising for a couple days so I think I will go back to the woods and the tent again. You only turn 55 once in this life so I think my birthday Tuesday should be a fun one. I wish I still had some of that 18 year old Scotch my son gave me.....

Mike, thanks

.....You can never have too many olive woolly buggers.........

.... IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED..........RELOAD......

#17 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:43 PM

mmm scotch. have a happy birthday.

#18 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:11 AM

Ok sign me up

#19 Woodenlegs

Woodenlegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:57 PM

Scuds are swimming your way, alittle extra in the pack.

Hope they work

#20 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:13 PM

First set is in the house. Woodenlegs very nice bugs have arrived. We need a few more people in this swap. Worst that can happen is we'll all get a few extras from each tyer but be nice to fill it out. C'mon guys, lets get the swapping season underway a full swap. Where's those new guys who are saying they want in. Lots of basic patterns for scuds and sows out there.

#21 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

I'll give it a shot. Haven't tied many scuds but I'll see what I can come up with.
Tight lines,
David

#22 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:58 PM

Vicrider, I'm still trying to get settled in. A LOT of stuff is still in boxes which I've been shuffling around along with a lot of much heavier stuff to insulate the walls in the garage. Fishing has been a total bust since the move. I have found some of my materials and a few of my tools. Like a whole lot of other stuff, all I can say is they are in a box somewhere. With those limitations in mind, if you will have me, I will give it a try.

Breambuster
Remember the 3 "R"s. Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.

#23 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:20 PM

Good to see ya' ready to get back in the game. How can you be the bream capital of the country and fishing a bust? Followed you a bit on FB and looks like you're getting right into a lot of new friends and hope some of them take you to their secret fishing holes. Scuds or Sow Bugs are a fairly simple tie (or so I thought) and glad to have your contribution.

#24 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:36 PM

Hi Nick,

I'm in if you still need a 12th. I have not actually tied scuds before so I'll have to do a little research before I pick a pattern. Sounds like fun!

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#25 stabgnid

stabgnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

Vicrider, I'm still trying to get settled in. A LOT of stuff is still in boxes which I've been shuffling around along with a lot of much heavier stuff to insulate the walls in the garage. Fishing has been a total bust since the move. I have found some of my materials and a few of my tools. Like a whole lot of other stuff, all I can say is they are in a box somewhere. With those limitations in mind, if you will have me, I will give it a try.

Breambuster

Nice to see you back Breambuster !!!!

Steve-stabgnid

"I don't fly fish I just love to tie flies"

Steve-stabgnid

#26 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:57 PM

Thanks, Steve. It's good to be back. I feel like so much of my life is still in boxes. I have some guys coming next Friday to help me do some work in the new garage and until that's done, so much of my stuff will continue to be in boxes. Maybe in another week I can BEGIN the process of trying to find some of my stuff. Right now, all I can say is "It's in a box somewhere!" 

Vic, I have just placed an order for some materials that I'm going to need. It should be here before too long and once it's here, I don't think it will take too long to get them tied up. I'll move things along as quickly as I can. 

Take care

BB

Remember the 3 "R"s. Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.

#27 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:42 PM

BB, Welcome back!!

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#28 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:12 PM

Thanks Bob. It’s great to be back with some great tyers and great people. Although we have never met personally, I think of a lot of you guys as friends.

BB

#29 r2732

r2732

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

Shrimp will be in the mail Monday. 

hook: Mustad C49S #12

thread: Uni thread olive 6/0

tail: white schlappen

shellback: plastic bag cut to gape width

rib: green ultra wire, x sm

dubbing: hareline #11, olive

legs: brushed out dubbing

Note: too small to use for Shrimp Scampi.

Walt Ryan

#30 Kudu

Kudu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:44 PM

Please past pics. This fly is a nemesis. Netabrookie check out the Fox Statler sowbug. My version doesnt look great. Anyway smash the lead wraps with pliers. Makes it imitate movement.