Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Opening Day Swap

Trout Flies only

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#16 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:48 PM

Im in

#17 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:16 AM

I'm in; I'll do my bread-and-butter streamer.

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#18 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:50 AM

OK we have a full swap.  PM me for address.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#19 mikemac1

mikemac1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:52 AM

Firehole Demons are ready to post.

Firehole Demon

Hook: Firehole Stick 718, #10

Thread: UTC 140 Fluorescent Orange

Tail: Arctic Fox

Undertail: Angel Hair

Flash: Polarflash

Body: Polarflash, UV Cured

Hackle: Natural or Dyed Badger

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/blog/fly-of-the-month-the-firehole-demon/

Attached Thumbnails

• WIN_20190225_07_50_26_Pro.jpg

#20 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:31 PM

mikemac1, I had a hard time figuring out why your fly looked so different from the one a very good fly tyer had done in a different swap. Had to do a little checking and the fly that was done in the other swap by flytier was the Big Hole Demon. Norm's patterns are right on so why were your flies so good looking but so different? Guess there's different "demons" out there for us to tie to the vise.

Nick

#21 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:04 PM

woolly bugger tied on a firehole stick hook

ready for toe tags

iJiIhXF.jpg

Fly tying - The art of attaching feathers, fur, wool, and silk to a tiny hook to create artificial lures that imitate insects, a skill easily mastered by anyone who can peel a grape blindfolded with a pair of tweezers and a butter knife while wearing oven mitts.

#22 mikechell

mikechell

I love Florida Summer !!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:20 PM

ready for toe tags

iJiIhXF.jpg

Um ... those aren't like any "Woolly Bugger" I've seen before?

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#23 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:28 PM

My thoughts Mike. Strange buggers but no one ties better on this board than Norm so I'll fish them for sure. Here's what I tied to help stand out if water is a little dingy.

DSCF5340.JPG  DSCF5342.JPG

#24 mikemac1

mikemac1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:29 AM

mikemac1, I had a hard time figuring out why your fly looked so different from the one a very good fly tyer had done in a different swap. Had to do a little checking and the fly that was done in the other swap by flytier was the Big Hole Demon. Norm's patterns are right on so why were your flies so good looking but so different? Guess there's different "demons" out there for us to tie to the vise.

Nick

Easy, the Big Hole Demon was popularized by Dan Bailey in the 1960s. Its two key characteristics are the badger hackle and tinsel body. It was spawned from the need for a flashy fly in the perpetually tea colored waters of the Big Hole Rver. A trip to Australia in 2017 introduced me to the Shrek, a Mylar bodied woolly bugger. (https://www.jsflyfis...ing-down-under/). I combined the two patterns into Firehole Demon because I fish both the Firehole and Big Hole many times each year. This fly excels in tea colored waters. Theres more detail in the link in my original post.

#25 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:27 AM

ready for toe tags

iJiIhXF.jpg

Um ... those aren't like any "Woolly Bugger" I've seen before?

Um... The photo of the flies are the frenchies he tied, not describing them to be wooly buggers

#26 professori

professori

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:45 AM

Dang, Snooze you loose.  I have half the flies tied ("Purple Rain" prince nymphs) and thought I would check in and see how the swap was filling up today. I thought I had posted an "I'm in" about third in but looks like I mustn't have hit the send.  Next time fishingbobnelson. 

#27 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

Um... The photo of the flies are the frenchies he tied, not describing them to be wooly buggers

exactly

i was refering to "firehole demons" somewhere above. 

reading post 19 & 20 one would have got it

Fly tying - The art of attaching feathers, fur, wool, and silk to a tiny hook to create artificial lures that imitate insects, a skill easily mastered by anyone who can peel a grape blindfolded with a pair of tweezers and a butter knife while wearing oven mitts.

#28 Woodenlegs

Woodenlegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:08 AM

Sorry I missed this one if someone drops let me know.

#29 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:55 PM

Mikemac's Firehole Demons arrived today.  Really some nice looking flies

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#30 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:43 PM

Settled on guides choice pheasant tails

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trout Flies only