Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bass swap

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:55 PM

Up top you dflanagan I'd have no problem tying an extra fly so Mikewest could join in, he always does exceptional work.

#17 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:27 PM

Ive contacted Mike to see if he still wants in. Hate to see anyone drop but Id like to stay at six.
Tight lines,
David

#18 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:51 PM

then please stay at six :)

Fly tying - The art of attaching feathers, fur, wool, and silk to a tiny hook to create artificial lures that imitate insects, a skill easily mastered by anyone who can peel a grape blindfolded with a pair of tweezers and a butter knife while wearing oven mitts.

#19 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:06 PM

then please stay at six :)

Yep, thats the plan. Just dont have the time to spend at the vise with work, kids, and fishing season starting up.
Tight lines,
David

#20 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:43 AM

half way done

KCKXaHE.jpg

Fly tying - The art of attaching feathers, fur, wool, and silk to a tiny hook to create artificial lures that imitate insects, a skill easily mastered by anyone who can peel a grape blindfolded with a pair of tweezers and a butter knife while wearing oven mitts.

#21 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:32 PM

Those are really nice, Norm.

So, Nick and Mike, who do we have in. Youre both great tyers so Id love to have you both in but we need to stay at six. Let me know, fellas.
Tight lines,
David

#22 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:51 PM

It’s all good, thx for the compliments guys and the offer.
Carry on.

#23 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:49 PM

1 done 5 to go

ukLgDLk.jpg

#24 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:06 PM

Six Murdich minnows ready to go.

Attached Thumbnails

• B5451103-06F2-4B97-B8C7-910C8EC78033.jpeg

Tight lines,
David

#25 Bruce Derington

Bruce Derington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:52 PM

Mine are done

Bruce Derington

#26 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:52 PM

PM sent to all with the shipping address.
Tight lines,
David

#27 richmce

richmce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:11 PM

mine are done will go out tuesday  

#28 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:43 PM

Mine are done. Want to get a couple of pictures of what I wanted to tie but failed on the water and the substitute. Will go out tomorrow.

#29 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:34 PM

Ill keep an eye out for them, guys.
Tight lines,
David

#30 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:06 AM

This time before I try to add I'll add a picture I'll copy everything so I don't lose it again on a 508 crapout.

So, this is the case of the fail and substitute for this swap. I tried tying a wiggle lip to a salmon hook, which I thought would keep it straight, which it did. I then tied a streamer in the favorite Kevin Vandam colors of Sexy Shad. I took it to the lake and it was a fail. No wiggle.mad.gif sad.png  If you stripped fairly hard it would dive a little and pull to one side or other but wiggle on retrieve like I'd hoped for. I'll still give it a try on our one shad pond in the area but disappointed and went on to a second choice. This is the fail.

DSCF5372.JPG  DSCF5371.JPG

And this is my version of the Mrs. Simpson Sculpin. It's with the smaller sculpin head so it can be safely handled by a 6wt. on the water. The next size up and large size are really chuck and duck or belong on a spinning outfit. My dwindling Golden Pheasant skin lost a whole lot of Church Window feathers with these flies and other Mrs. Simpsons I've tied. I really like this fly and on a sand bottom I've watched a lot of largemouth suck it up off the bottom bounce. It should be a killer for smallmouth in streams also serving as a sculpin or mud minnow or possibly craw all at once.

DSCF5374.JPG  DSCF5375.JPG