Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Druce

diy rod case

Hope everyone's holidays are going well,

I'm traveling via greyhound soon an require a 5 foot tube to store my rod in while its under the bus, has anyone made any fast tube solutions? I have made onse with that black tubing from home depot but that stuff can be pricey, and I really only need it for the trip as I have one back home. Any ideas everyone?

xmas has reeked havoc on my wallet, how much $ might i be looking at if you dont mind me asking :rolleyes: ?

Make one from PVC, glue one end tape the other. I've used them for years. Just use a schedule 40.

Mel

If you use PVC make sure you get all the residue and vapors out of the tube. I made one for a brand new St. Croix ultralight only to have the vapors in the tube destroy all the decals. The acetone attacked the decals. So you should clean it with dawn and water before you use it.

Charlie

Ditto PVC. You could do it really cheap - like less then 10 bucks by buying a PVC pipe, cut it to length yourself, stuff an old tube sock in one end and duct tape that end closed really well. Now insert rod, push in other tube sock, add duct tape to that end. Whalla - less than 10 bucks for a water tight and tough rod case.

Get a PVC tube and put two caps on each end. Add a little bit of Dawn and water, then cap and shake. Dump it and fill with water. Shake it and dump it. Repeat until it's rinsed out. Let it dry by storing it upright overnight. If you want to accelerate it, use a hairdryer on the cool setting and blow it out.

Once dry, add a sock (Preferably clean :lol: ) as suggested or cut up an old clean t-shirt.

Be sure to wrap the rod sections separately in soft material --an old sheet? --to prevent them rubbing during the bus vibrations.

Or, better yet, convicne the wife you need to get a custom 4 piece travel rod.

Rocco

I just put a tube together of thin-wall pvc and two caps for a 4 piece rod. Cost me right at $5 total. It got 1 1/4 inch tube and it is tight for a 4-piece, but fine for 2-piece rods. It will cost you a little more for a 2-piece since the pipe is sold by the foot and you will need a couple more feet. But at Ace Hardware, I think it was 88 cents per foot.

Deeky

I just put a tube together of thin-wall pvc and two caps for a 4 piece rod. Cost me right at $5 total. It got 1 1/4 inch tube and it is tight for a 4-piece, but fine for 2-piece rods. It will cost you a little more for a 2-piece since the pipe is sold by the foot and you will need a couple more feet. But at Ace Hardware, I think it was 88 cents per foot.

Deeky

Try a mailing tube. You could get one for free from a store that carries rods. They are made of heavy cardboard. You could wrap your rod in bubble wrap on the inside.

Good luck on your journey!

Go to the post office and get a 28" long priority mailing tube. For a 4 pc 9 ft rod a single long tube is sufficient. 4x28" = 9' 4" They are free. The only question is whether a single tube will be sturdy enough.

Get 3 tubes and you can use 2 of them to reinforce the main tube. Match the edges and fold two sides of the first spare tube over a corner of the main tube. Cut the spare edge of the outer tube off. Then do the opposite corner with the other spare tube. You'll figure out how. Take a roll of duct tape and any post office will have spare tubes for a repair kit.

TubeLarge.jpg

Use a PVC tube as others have mentioned. I use 1.5" PVC tube for shipping all my custom rods to customers. 10ft of 1.5pvc will only run you about $5.50 at most hardware stores. PVC is cheap insurance and will protect the rod over most any other type of tube you can use.

Steve

Get a PVC tube and put two caps on each end.

jhammer: I am very curious about how you manage to get two caps on each end of the pvc tube!

Most likely he does like I do I would guess. Cap off one end then the other end is a screw on cap which you glue the female part to the tube and then the male cap screws on & off.

I made an arrow "quiver" out of 6" PVC once. I got the pvc off a worksite (leftovers), bought caps and applied them. I then cut out a door panel and attached a piano hinge the length of the pvc to mount the "door" on. I drilled a hole in each end and attached an eye bolt to hook a carrying strap to. To keep everything from bouncing around inside , I glued soft foam around the inside of the tubing and cut slots for my arrows. A little ambitious for a cheapo arrow carrier. Too bulky to use in the woods and it took too long to open it and get the arrow out when hunting, so it became just a transport Quiver. I'm sure you could do something like that for a rod case, but Steve's method would be more practical....i was just bored when I started my project... :lol: