Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Li'lDave

On tube flies?

HI all.

Beginners question for tying tubes.

I'm pretty sure I can source the appropriate materials....

Just wondering if there are any special skills or techniques that we need to develop to be successful?

Am looking at tying up some streamers on tubes for a mate who will be fishing BC in the Fall.

Many thanks.

I'm no expert on tubes but I do tye a few. A lot of then are tied in the round. If you need one to track top up you may have e to add some weight to the bottom.

Kevin

I use mostly the HMH system with connector link at the back that kind of holds your hook orientation fairly well. So hook point down I've had no issue with my Gray Ghosts tracking upright. At least not with plastic tubes, I haven't fished my metal tubes yet but that season is coming.. I'll edit this: that plastic tubes tend to want to float , so use a cone or bead up front. This is why I'm trying metal tubes as well, since I don't always want a bead or cone up front.

You need a little flame source, I use a charcoal grill lighter. But you can watch any number of different you tube videos as to why that is the case. It boils down to not having your thread slip off the head end or in the case of an inner tube liner for metal tubes, that the liner doesn't slip out of the metal tube..

Tube streamers fish very well incidentally, especially for toothy fish like some salmon, the fly slips up the leader so the fish only has the hook in it's mouth. This gives two fold PLUS PLUS scores because the fish is now on a shorter shanked hook and holds better, plus the fly isn't torn up so quickly. At least that is my experience with using a connector tube at the back.. They aren't quite as pretty as a classic tie but they work and look good enough. You will go through a bit more body thread and materials because of the added diameter.

I enjoy tying and fishing tubes though I don't do them too often. One thing you will notice is the amount of thread you will go through, you will burn a spool a lot faster than with normal flies. As said above, I think the hook helps keel the fly tp track correctly but as Eastern Fly noted, you may need to add weight depending on materials, fly pattern, etc. I haven't had this issue but it would prove an easy fix.

What system are you using Dave ?

I still have my HMH adapters that worked pretty well but like tube flies and tying them enough that I went ahead and bought an HMH tube vise. I have that for home and keep the adapter kit in my tying kit in case I want to tie some when away from home and just have my travel vise along for the trip. i like that with the dedicated vise I can rotate the vise on center and do a little better job at floss bodies and spiral candy cane tinsel.

I have a universal tube fly adapter from I think j stockard. I use straws from aerosol spray cans as tubes. I use fuel line for small engines or aquarium tubing for junction tubes. I don't tie a lot of them but they seem to work well. IMG_20180117_193204.jpg

Wow.

So i need an adaptor

Ya there are a couple of different types out there. You can get the ProTube needles that just go directly into your vise as is. HMH has a holder that goes into your vise and the needles go into the holder.. HMH now has a chuck style collet that can go into your vise as well ( nice rig but not sure it's available everywhere, it's similar to the chuck that is on their tube fly vise, they call it a "shank adapter tool"). And then as mentioned there are the store brand items like J Stockard has. You can also fashion a wire I suppose or use long sewing needles for shorter flies..

The only reason I have an actual tube fly vise is I bought it from Fathers Day money I received last year. I liked it enough that I then went out and bought an HMH Spartan vise for my regular tying. You just need something to hold the more flexible tubes from crunching down in a conventional vise, to give it some spine inside. It doesn't have to be fancy at all.. I like tying and I fish grey and green Ghosts, and I will say that goes a little easier with the collet and chuck system, for me anyway...

Here is the shank adapter ( might be more than you want to spend but it is cool anyway): Shank-Adapter.jpg?resize=568%2C210&ssl=1

Here is a link to the J Stockard Just Simply tools adapter kit for only $6.95, way better deal and nicer design than the HMH adapter kit I have, IMO ( though the HMH comes with some tubes and junction tube as well): http://www.jsflyfishing.com/js-tools-tube-fly-adapter

Tube fly Starter Kit from HMH, In The Riffle video ( or link): https://youtu.be/fU4K_M6KkIA

Pro Tube uses these tapered needle adapters: pro-tube-flexineedle-tubefly-system-flex

Link to HMH tube fly adapter page: http://hmhvises.com/tubeflygear.php

Let's see some examples Dave g

I've actually never taken a picture of this tube stuff, not to mention I still have no pathway to upload them if I did flytire. You aren't missing much anyway, they aren't anything like some of the works of art some of you guys post on here ..