Fly Tying
tctrout

Social Media and Fly Tying

I just made a short video asking for your thoughts on the impact of Social Media and Fly Tying. It's obvious that most on this site are into forums, but what about Facebook and Instagram? What ways do you use them, and what (if any) tyers or FB groups can you recommend to others?

I will be recording all of the comments from this video, and place them into Part Two in the next few weeks. Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts!

Merry Christmas,

Tim

I am a hold out, I guess. I don't have anything against technology, but I do have everything against "over-connection".

My phone is still a flip phone, no texting or surfing. I don't even use the camera function ... it's a phone and that's it.

This site and one other are all I do in the way of fly tying and fishing.

I am in Instagram, as you know, and without it I would be as much of a fly tier as I am now. I used to have an eBay store, where I would just sell flies and be done with it. On Instagram, I really get to effortlessly interact with followers and people in general. It really is a great thing that all fly tiers should use. Check me out @saltflies

Hope this helps with the vid TC

I am in about 30 facebook groups, everything from local groups to kelly Galloup streamer fans.

Wow, that's a lot. I'll be sure to mention the Streamer page during Part Two; any other groups you'd like me to mention? BTW, I'll also give you credit for sharing...thanks!

I am in Instagram, as you know, and without it I would be as much of a fly tier as I am now. I used to have an eBay store, where I would just sell flies and be done with it. On Instagram, I really get to effortlessly interact with followers and people in general. It really is a great thing that all fly tiers should use. Check me out @saltflies

Hope this helps with the vid TC

It does, and you've shared a lot on Instagram! Thanks...

I am in about 5 facebook groups, 2 different forums that I regularly visit and at least 4 more I do not. I also follow about 25 people on youtube. Anymore than this and I would need to be connected all the time. I feel social media can be a great asset but also a hindrance.

As always my concern is how do you sort the wheat from the chaff? Back when I started posting on boards and then Facebook the standard of fly tying was much lower than it is today, that is the great positive. However, I still see things that make me cringe. One example is starting your thread. Some people still leave a long tag so that they can break it off. Well that is fine if your thread is sponsored. What about those who have to pay hard earned for their thread. Leaving a tag of twice the amount you take to tie the fly will use up thread at a huge rate. Or another example: when the tier in a video accidently pulls the wing out from the fly after tying it in, Then continues without showing that the, now loose, turns of thread should be taken off. Placing tight turns over loose causes slippage. We know these things, but how does the beginner sort out good advice from bad?

Cheers,

C.

I honestly hate social media. I deal with it everyday and I find that, although it may not be all bad, there is a LOT of bad that comes with and because of it.

In essence, I am not sure it is worth it giving up privacy to social media as much as we do. Forums like this one give you more control over what you share and I prefer them for their encyclopedic quality.

Gladly stepping off the soap box now...

I am in about 5 facebook groups, 2 different forums that I regularly visit and at least 4 more I do not. I also follow about 25 people on youtube. Anymore than this and I would need to be connected all the time. I feel social media can be a great asset but also a hindrance.

Thanks, Mike, and do you mind sharing any of the Facebook groups you are in?

Tim

As always my concern is how do you sort the wheat from the chaff? Back when I started posting on boards and then Facebook the standard of fly tying was much lower than it is today, that is the great positive. However, I still see things that make me cringe. One example is starting your thread. Some people still leave a long tag so that they can break it off. Well that is fine if your thread is sponsored. What about those who have to pay hard earned for their thread. Leaving a tag of twice the amount you take to tie the fly will use up thread at a huge rate. Or another example: when the tier in a video accidently pulls the wing out from the fly after tying it in, Then continues without showing that the, now loose, turns of thread should be taken off. Placing tight turns over loose causes slippage. We know these things, but how does the beginner sort out good advice from bad?

Cheers,

C.

Thanks for the comments, and I think you know the answer to your own question, which is by others sharing with one another proper procedures and techniques. I prefer to stay on the positive side, thus are there any Facebook groups, tyers on Instagram, or others you would recommend?

Tim

Tim

Two are just called Fly Tying plus Bug Bond. The Seven Continents of Fly fishing And FlyTying and a couple of different Tenkara Groups that are not tying specific.

Tim

Two are just called Fly Tying plus Bug Bond. The Seven Continents of Fly fishing And FlyTying and a couple of different Tenkara Groups that are not tying specific.

Great suggestions, Mike (and we belong to a couple of the same on FB!). I'll be sure to give you credit for them in the Part Two video...thanks!

Tim

I'm with Mike on this one to a degree. I do not have a Facebook, Instagram, or even Twitter account. Nor do I really want one. This is the only fly tying/fishing forum that I am on. May have signed up for a couple others but never go there. I am also on 2 different motorcycle forums. That's it.

My wife is on Facebook and more than once some young couple has had a fight. Instead of keeping it private it's on Facebook. I don't need that crap.

I do very much appreciate the folks that do post videos on tying and the how to videos for motorcycle mods. But me, just not my thing.