Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

flyhooks.org

a very ambitious undertaking

mustad hooks - consider the old designation in addition to the "signature" designation

and a disclaimer - "all hook dimensions are in milimeters"

a very ambitious undertaking

mustad hooks - consider the old designation in addition to the "signature" designation

and a disclaimer - "all hook dimensions are in milimeters"

yes, old will come, but gathered what's available on mustad page first, then the rest ;)

about mm: yes, that is noted under each size if you look on a hook, can add that to the front page as well

Awesome resource for finding comparable hooks. A very serious undertaking, for certain.

Adding it to my bookmarks now.

The mm notation became unnecessary after I saw the length designation at the top. A 28.38 inch long hook would be something to see!blink.png smile.png

A minor criticism(?), if I may. Most of the manufacturers I have dealt with call the distance from the shank to the point the "gape", rather than the often metathesized "gap" we see a lot of on the forums.

Kirk B.

Awesome resource for finding comparable hooks. A very serious undertaking, for certain.

Adding it to my bookmarks now.

The mm notation became unnecessary after I saw the length designation at the top. A 28.38 inch long hook would be something to see!blink.png smile.png

A minor criticism(?), if I may. Most of the manufacturers I have dealt with call the distance from the shank to the point the "gape", rather than the often metathesized "gap" we see a lot of on the forums.

Kirk B.

Thanks!

The gape/gap: fixed that, thanks for the input! One of those things that you think, then write.

I think this a good start since it allow the fly tier to see a hook against a grid and it gives the available hooks in one web site. I think what has been done is good, but it is far from perfect IMHO.

A major help would be making the database relational so that it can be searched. If the database could be searched for styles of hooks from all the manufacturers so that that information would be on one page OR if the database could be searched for all dry fly hooks that are made in a size 28 for example. So a searchable relational datbase would be so much better than a static database.

For me though, what I ultimately want is the ability to search and compare one hook against each other, with the images somehow superimposed. That would then allow me to do what I do in a fly shop and that is to actually compare several hooks directly against each other. Can the separate images under different manufactures several organizational layers away from each other easily reveal the differences in two similar hooks? I don't want to count squares to tell the how long the hook is compared to another identical 3XL 1XH hook from another manufacturer when a superimpostion would make even subtle differences immediately obvious.

The grid adds additional information above what I can get from google images of hooks, but it does not allow me to superimpose two hooks so I can see differences in wire guage and shape instantaneously. Since the hooks are organized by manufacturer, there is no way to compare dry fly hooks from all the manufactures with each other.

I think that what fly tiers need the most is a simple searchable way to see all possible hooks for a specific purpose in visual comparison to each other.

If that can be done, that would be truly amazing.

I think this a good start since it allow the fly tier to see a hook against a grid and it gives the available hooks in one web site. I think what has been done is good, but it is far from perfect IMHO.

A major help would be making the database relational so that it can be searched. If the database could be searched for styles of hooks from all the manufacturers so that that information would be on one page OR if the database could be searched for all dry fly hooks that are made in a size 28 for example. So a searchable relational datbase would be so much better than a static database.

For me though, what I ultimately want is the ability to search and compare one hook against each other, with the images somehow superimposed. That would then allow me to do what I do in a fly shop and that is to actually compare several hooks directly against each other. Can the separate images under different manufactures several organizational layers away from each other easily reveal the differences in two similar hooks? I don't want to count squares to tell the how long the hook is compared to another identical 3XL 1XH hook from another manufacturer when a superimpostion would make even subtle differences immediately obvious.

The grid adds additional information above what I can get from google images of hooks, but it does not allow me to superimpose two hooks so I can see differences in wire guage and shape instantaneously. Since the hooks are organized by manufacturer, there is no way to compare dry fly hooks from all the manufactures with each other.

I think that what fly tiers need the most is a simple searchable way to see all possible hooks for a specific purpose in visual comparison to each other.

If that can be done, that would be truly amazing.

Thanks for input, lots of good things here!

The search interface is there: http://flyhooks.org/search - you can search for hooks in size #22 with turned down eye that has a straight shank.

Of course: that is not done, if I were to "finish" it, I would spend the next 6 months just adding stuff (I'm releasing often and early to get things out there). Things to come are: usage, images (you can check the "picture" checkbox to only search in hooks that has a image), comparison and much more, just stay tuned!

For comparison: yes, that is on the planning board, and will be there soon. You should be able to search up a set of hooks, then get the large images and cycle through them with your keyboard. Also: you should be able to log in, make a hook a favorite, then if you see another hook do a "compare with this hook" and get the overlay.

Many plans, so many hooks to register! Have been getting good feedback from several places, and this week I'll get 70+ hooks donated from different people that wanted to help out smile.png

First increment on this idea: if you go to http://flyhooks.org/search and click for "Pictures" then you will get a preview of the image in the search result.

If you now click on the image you will be taken to gallery mode, and you can use arrows to flip through the hooks.

I'll get rid of the transition effect later, but got other things to do right now :)

flyhooks.gamakatsu.sc15.2-grid-1024x512.

Added some Gamakatsu and TMC hooks tonight, I have 150+ new hooks with pictures, but I have to add some here and there, cannot do it all in one sitting!

Hooks that have got pictures tonight:

flyhooks.tmc_.2488.14-grid-1024x512.jpg