Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Betty

Ugly Sandwich Popper

My Crease Flys are just being destroyed by the big blues we've had lately. Even though they are a snap for me to make they just don't hold up to teeth. Some of my friends can't make em so now I've come up with a high floating popper that can take some abuse and cast easily plus it pops well. It's ugly though, still in the trial phase or it many never get out of that phase because it work now. You'll need a long shank hook, some tail material with flash, 1/4 inch sheet foam from the craft store (same place that sells the sheet foam for Crease Flys), CA glue and Kicker. Some markers to make em look good then some epoxy to smooth out the fly and make durable.

1. First picture is that of the sheet foam I use, cut a strip then a small piece enough to make two sides.

post-18342-0-91375500-1401932838_thumb.jpg

2. Next cut a body pattern, I use the Crease Fly style, then use the first to copy the second. Tye on your tail material to the long shank hook and CA. Hit it hard with Kicker

post-18342-0-38531100-1401932850_thumb.jpg

3. Take you first piece of body foam and smear some CA on the bottom of the foam and lay the hook there and spray everything with Kicker. This should hold it in place and give you some leftover Kicker for the next step.

post-18342-0-43898200-1401932887_thumb.jpg

4. Smear some CA on the second body part and press it against the other side and hold tight! The leftover Kicker should be enough to hold the fly together.

post-18342-0-41393600-1401932906_thumb.jpg

5. Here's a shot of the face and finally some markers to make it look pretty. A thin coating of epoxy to toughen it up the fish it.

post-18342-0-57190800-1401932953_thumb.jpg

I took my wife's nail sander, fine abrasive on a block of foam, and sanded the fly to smooth it out. Before the marker and epoxy finish. This fly works, proven to catch fish so have fun, make up your own pattern if you like.....tight lines guys and gals.

Guest rich mc

nice easy popper thanks for sharing it . ive heard that crease flies tied on tubes last longer as the fly slides up the line during the fight. rich mc

Thanks guys and Kirk I like that name a lot. I'll use it if you don't mind.

Fishing tonite my friend had about a 3lb summer flounder leap a foot and a half try to take the "Fish Sandwich Popper". It was totally cool to see a flat fish fly out of the water after a popper!