Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kimjensen

Essential Saltwater flies. Ed Jaworowski.

Anyone read this book? Positive/negative thoughts about it?

I'm looking for a book that will explain allot indeapth about materials for saltwater flies and step by step tying. I'm selftaught (Youtube and DVD) i don't live in tropic climate, but i don't think fish will mind if i tie tropic flies to catch seatrout.

Would this be a good book or am i looking for something else?

Can't answer your question definitively as I don't have that book. Agree that most any of the popular saltwater flies can be good for multiple species, and searun trout would be no exception. From what I know of that book the patterns in it are in many other good saltwater pattern books as well. There are pattern books & there are pattern books that have good SBS instructions. Most I have are recipe books.

IMO, most salt patterns are not difficult to figure out as far as tying simply based on a good picture, but I've got a lot of experience with many of them. Most are tied with basic tying techniques. Not sure how in-depth you can go with the materials. The majority are basic. The more complex patterns are simply blends of the various materials.

If the SBS is your primary reason for this particular book, it's probably as good as any for the patterns that are included. I've yet to find any single book, and I have many, that explains it all however. Ed Jaworowski knows his stuff, so you could do a lot worse.

If you want to get in-depth into tying salt type patterns, the books by Bob Popovics will get you into it pretty deep. Bob is a technique guy, who ties as a means to supply flies, make the most of his materials & keep things as simple as possible so he can tie the flies quickly. He's not a guy that likes to spend a lot of time at the vise because he would rather be fishing. His techniques are simple, but involved. He does specific things & for specific reasons. Once you learn the techniques, they can be applied to many flies. Most folks can't look at his flies & tie them in the same manner as Bob does because the details of the techniques are not always evident.

Wish I could give you a better answer about that particular book.

Its a pretty good book i have the ebook version; i highly recommend Drew Chicones books- they have good step by steps, as well as the history of each fly written by the maker of the fly and they are only $15 for the ebook or $25 for signed paperback.

You might want to check out the "Saltwater Fly Tying" group on Facebook. There are quite a few Scandinavian sea trout guys on there who are very talented. You won't see a lot of actual step-by-step, but it's a friendly group, and most of the tyers will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

I know it's a terrible thing to say ... and it does not bode well for the printing industry ... but with the internet at my fingertips, I doubt I'll ever buy a paper book again.

Thank you very much for the info tidewaterfly. Maby i should look at Bob's book. I'm not the type of guy who wants to sit at the vise all day either smile.png

Peterjay: Allready a member of that Group smile.png

I do have the book and it does have some good SBS for many of the main patterns and shows some of the variations of the major patterns. It was well worth the money and would buy it again. Course I am an old fogey and like the old standards.

I do have the book and it does have some good SBS for many of the main patterns and shows some of the variations of the major patterns. It was well worth the money and would buy it again. Course I am an old fogey and like the old standards.

You not only WILL buy it again, you probably already have, and can't remember where you set the other copies down. Those brain cells start acting funny after 60+ years - now it's a heavy chore to find your car at the mall or remember what day of the week it is. Don't ask me how I know......

All jokes aside, most of the time I do know what day it is. (it is today) but If it were not for the bottom right corner of the puter screen and my cell phone I would not have a clue of the date. As far as finding the car....it is in the drive or garage. I stay away from the mall for the same reasons that you do.

Hell, I don't know the date either, but I usually know the day of the week because missing trash pickup day is not a good idea in this climate. Otherwise, one's pretty much the same as another. They're all good.

Must be nice. I am constantly looking at my watch. Leave the house at 6:45, catch the bus at 7:00, catch the metro at 7:10, get to work by 8:15...As for the day of the week, they all kind of run together. But not tomorrow, I'll be tossing flies for that silver unicorn down on the eastern shore. Cant pass up light and variable winds! Especially this summer. Wish I lived closer, like someone on here does....

Must be nice. I am constantly looking at my watch. Leave the house at 6:45, catch the bus at 7:00, catch the metro at 7:10, get to work by 8:15...As for the day of the week, they all kind of run together. But not tomorrow, I'll be tossing flies for that silver unicorn down on the eastern shore. Cant pass up light and variable winds! Especially this summer. Wish I lived closer, like someone on here does....

Hah! you young fellers have got it made compared to what we went through back in my DC days. Hell, there wasn't even a Metro back then. I couldn't tell you how many times I got on the wrong bus and wound up at the Lincoln Memorial instead of Georgetown. That was a long walk back, especially barefoot through the snow, uphill all the way. I'll tell you, those were tough times. About the only recreation we had were the riots and the holdups. I can still smell the tear gas like it was yesterday, and you haven't really lived until you've been held at gunpoint inside a walk-in refrigerator. Still, you young guys have no idea how hard life was back then.

PeterJay did no mention that it was up hill in both direction and the snow was usually at least 3' deep. Some of us had to walk over 10 miles each way to school barefoot and knickers. Didn't get my first pair of shoes till I was 15 and got them the same day I got my first pair of long pants. Those were the good ole days. As you can see, PeterJay had it easy...........first liar ain't got a chance.

Jeez, Ray, I hope those shoes fit when you finally got them. Ya know, I've always heard that dudes over your way aren't especially fussy about wearing pants anyway, especially the farm boys. Tough neighborhood, especially for the livestock.

there is a good reason that there is a lock on the inside of the barn door.:)