Fly Tying
kimjensen

Goop vs. Superglue gel.

Just got a subsciption for EP flies and i see Enrico is not covering his heads with UV resin, but just attach the eyes with Goop. Unfortunately i don't think Goop is available here in Denmark. I have Loctite superglue gel, will that work as good?

Goop will also firm up the face on a hair bug popper. Doesn't take much. Just a light coating.

A glue known as E-6000 works great to hold eyes on a fly and is made by the same company I believe.

Both Goop and E-6000 are available through Amazon.com

Lots of tyers use super glue, but it's been my experience that it's too brittle - the flexibility of Goop is a plus when you're banging flies around the rocks. I don't know the chemical composition of Goop, but products like Flexament and Flex-Seal have all the properties of thinned Goop, so it's likely that there's something similar in Denmark. Capt. Bob Lemay recommends something I believe is called Fletch-Tite that archers use for fletching their arrows. If super glue is all you can get, it'll do the job OK, although there are products out there that IMO, will make for a more durable fly.

PJ, I ordered some CA Flex formulas from BSI through a local hobby shop. Check out Bob Smith Industries website and look for the CA glues he puts out.

Kirk

Well, jury is still out for me. I'll test and see how flexible. One of the flexible CA's is black. Could be interesting, I think they only came out in the last year or so.

goop only for me or puffy paint to put eyes on, you can get it in different colors and it stays flexible. stuff is great.