Fly Tying
August9999

Redfish flies

There are many good flies for Redfish. Do a Google search, and you'll find plenty of them. Reds are not that particular. In many ways they're like bass when it comes to flies for them.

The Bendbacks I posted in your question about saltwater flies work well. Others here have posted many patterns that will be good for them as well.

I tied some patterns earlier in the year, hoping to go chase some Reds, but that didn't pan out. I thought I had posted the flies, but can't seem to find them on here.

These will work for Reds or Bass.

100_4940_zps73b2f4a7.jpg

100_4910_zps4083812c.jpg

100_4904_zps5e209595.jpg

100_4908_zps88b0ca5d.jpg

100_4907_zps12e0e2ce.jpg

100_4897_zps18b082f8.jpg

100_4886_zps79e2d67f.jpg

You already posed the same question in another thread. Didn't you read the answers?

I posted a thread concerning saltwater flies in general. This thread is specifically about Redfish flies. But thanks for your concern.

Guys, the lad has also already stated that he's new to the sport & very young.

I believe some patience will be necessary! I'm sure he's simply trying to learn & fit in & he'll ask more of the same!

It may be that he really doesn't know what questions to ask. I sure didn't at such a young age.

My one grandson is constantly asking me the same questions over & over, and it's likely we all did the same at one time. dry.png

August, many of us here are quite older than you & have been doing this a long time, The same generalized questions get asked over & over.

There is no "best" with any of it. Opinions will vary greatly, and we each have our likes & dislikes. There's a lot of overlap too when it comes to flies. What works for one species will often work for many others, particularly in saltwater. There's also very little "right or wrong". There's primarily personal choice & what works best for each of us. That which we've each found out on our own by trying different things.

Your questions have been answered. It's up to you to take the information & move forward with it. Try some of what been posted!

Nothing wrong with asking questions here either. However as you go forward, try to be more specific about what you need to know. You'll get better answers. None of this sport is difficult, but can be overwhelming trying to get started.

I'll bet you're like most young folks & are extremely energetic, but try to take what's given here one step at a time. Many of us didn't have the advantage of the internet or forums like this so we learned on our own.

You have the advantage of a staggering collective knowledge base here. But, with any such resource, what you need to do is to learn how to use it properly. smile.png

That being said redfish like orange, yellow, and especially PURPLE....I have noticed.

167_0805.JPG

Great to see yungins fly fishing and especially tying....so good luck!

I was 9 I'm going on 66 now...

614.jpg

Here's some squibs....made with craft fur dubbed around lead eyes, hair out da back, w/rubber legs and sharpie for color. These run hook up so don't hang up as bad....

102_10951.JPG

Hmmmmm.......

IMG957472.jpg

Redfish are very opportunistic, as long as it looks good to eat, they usually eat it, generally speaking. In high pressured waters they can be more selective but that has a lot to do with careful presentation.

So, you need to have a variety of fishy flies for different situations, water depth and type grass if any you will be fishing.

When I fish duck ponds here, the bottom is often covered with a foot or more of soft grass any kind of heavy lead eyes on a fly will sink it in the grass out of sight. However, when fishing other areas up to three feet deep with no grass, you need heavy weighted flies to get down quick.

Don't forget poppers and/or sliders for when they are looking up.

Kirk

Kirk - I mostly agree with you, but (and please correct me if I'm wrong) as far as I can see, the OP said he's new to fly fishing, not that he's a kid. Call me old-fashioned, but I still believe that a little common courtesy never killed anybody.

PJ, what is courtesy? I should know that, I was nominated Most Courteous in 8th grade but declined as no one else was nominated and I thought that was way to nerdy to be the most courteous in the year book...

Peter, you getting senile or what? I said he was young in my post. Wasn't Kirk who said it! blink.png

The OP said in his saltwater flies post that he's too young to yet have a job. You blasted him for not paying attention, remember? rolleyes.gif

But, you're right, courtesy never killed anyone!

Hey Kirk, good to see you posting again! We need help keeping Peter straight around here! It's a full time job! laugh.png

Tide,

Just been lurking, still busy with that book I started two years ago this month. Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel but still a lot of odds and ends to tie up. It's hell having a full time job and family that demands your attention...

Oh, as far as keeping PJ straight...strapping him to a table in a straight jacket wouldn't keep PJ straight.

Kirk

Peter, you getting senile or what? I said he was young in my post. Wasn't Kirk who said it! blink.png

The OP said in his saltwater flies post that he's too young to yet have a job. You blasted him for not paying attention, remember? rolleyes.gif

But, you're right, courtesy never killed anyone!

Hey Kirk, good to see you posting again! We need help keeping Peter straight around here! It's a full time job! laugh.png

Hell, Jim, I didn't "blast" anybody, just asking a question. I don't know if I'm getting senile or not, but anyway, it's not likely anybody could tell one way or the other. As far as paying attention goes, I don't read the other sections of the forum - I just have the saltwater section bookmarked. For all I know, you could be conducting seances over there. (not entirely out of the question) Besides, you spent a week at my house, and I can definitively state that on a crotchety exam, we'd both probably score in the same percentile.

Kirk, you're absolutely right - being strapped to a table in a strait jacket had no effect whatsoever. If anything, it let me catch up on some sleep.

PJ and Tidewaterfly - I tried PMing you, (Tidewaterfly) but got a message that you couldn't receive PMs so I thought I'd explain my remark above about "the Kid" here. I just assumed he was a kid by his name (the 99 being his birth year). I could be wrong. But anyway, I was noticing all of his posts and I thought he needed some direction in his quest to learn fly tying and I thought there was a better way to go about it than the direction he was headed. So I PMed him (so as to not make it a public matter on the forum and maybe save him some embarrassment) and gave him some unsolicited advice on what he should do to further his quest. It was not well received and got the same sarcastic tone and defensiveness that you got PJ. It wasn't til afterward that I saw his response to you and that prompted my somewhat discourteous response. Kid or not, sarcasm and disrespect is not the way to go about learning. Sorry this had to go public but he brought it upon himself.