Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

Auction score?

I like to go to auctions when I have nothing else to do. 9 out of 10 times I come home empty handed. Today I scored, possibly a major score but I'm a little unsure. My first purchase was a box containing 31 full packs of various dubbing for $1.00 dollar

2nd purchase was what I believe to be a Regal medallion vise that looks as if it was never used. Since it was in a box with old jitterbugs I'm guessing the vise to be at least 30 years old. I scored the vise for $22.50. With buyers premium and tax, for the vise and dubbing, I was out the door for $28.65.

Now this is a score! But it think it may be a major score. The problem is I've never seen a regal vice badged like this one which gives me pause. Is it a knock off? I don't think so but I'm not sure. First the fit and finish is impeccable. Everything is there and works as it should and it holds hooks like, well, like a vise. My concern, I've never seen regal spelled out on a plate on the base like this, There also is not a round regal medallion on the vise itself and it does not look like one was ever there. There is a worn rectangular sticker on the under side of the actual vise part. I believe the only partial word I can read says engineering but the only clear portion of the word is is the end of the word that says "ring."

So what do you think? Is it a score or a major score?

post-48414-0-22036700-1537042751_thumb.jpg

post-48414-0-49676100-1537042805_thumb.jpg

post-48414-0-66815600-1537042852_thumb.jpg

Definite big score. A simple vise goes 35.00 and up. Even my 1.5 year old renzetti has more wear than yours. No rust a little tarnish on brass is it. Great find.

That is a real Regal. The didn't all have the gold "medallion". I remember those bases. With the ball on the lever, it's probably a fairly early rotary model.

Well tonight I had to fix my blower but did it relatively quickly so I had time to surf the net for information. I discovered there is a surprising lack of information on Regal vises out there. The good news is I'm positive it's a legit Regal. Jaydub you are correct it's an early model from the early 80's. The base and the brass ball on the end of the lever is how they made them then, with no Regal medallion or coin on the vise. I think Regal Engineering began in the early 80's so this could be the original.

I'm thrilled to get it for such a steal. This is the only pedestal vise I have so it's going to be my traveling vise. I tied a couple flies on it tonight and I have to say I really like how the jaws work. Squeeze the lever, put a hook in and tie. Boy does it hold a hook. They've got to be the strongest jaws out there and it's so simple to use. It won't replace my fathers griffin because of sentimental reasons but I can tell I'm really going to like this vise.

I'm willing to bet that next week there will be some fly rods making an appearance at the auction.

The early Regals had no provision for rotating the hook. I don't remember exactly when the rotary version came out.

Some people have had problems with small hooks shooting out of the jaws, causing the jaws to snap together and chip. Just make sure you insert small hooks far enough into the jaws.

Good for you Poop....Nice vise.....Be sure to take classes now!!:unsure:

GO BIRDS!

The early Regals had no provision for rotating the hook. I don't remember exactly when the rotary version came out.

Some people have had problems with small hooks shooting out of the jaws, causing the jaws to snap together and chip. Just make sure you insert small hooks far enough into the jaws.

Well this one rotates but I don't know if rotary would be the correct term. Possibly 2nd generation. Thanks for the heads up on the shooting hooks. That could hurt.

Early 80's is correct Jaydub.

The patent was granted March 1, 1983 to the inventor Gerald J. Doiron.

I looked up the patent # 4375284 on your pic and it is definitely a genuine Regal vise.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4375284

Abstract: A fly tying device including relatively heavy resilient steel bars which are provided with a

supportive means and also concave edges which face each other to space the bars for a

major portion of the length thereof together with a cam to temporarily spread the free ends

of the bars apart to accept the hook.

post-47446-0-64583300-1537117405_thumb.png

post-47446-0-05460400-1537117450_thumb.png

Good for you Poop....Nice vise.....Be sure to take classes now!!unsure.png

GO BIRDS!

Well this one rotates but I don't know if rotary would be the correct term. Possibly 2nd generation. Thanks for the heads up on the shooting hooks. That could hurt.

It's what Regal called the Regal Rotary when it came out. You are correct in that it's not "true" rotary. The patent pictures fshng2 posted show the original Regal.

Still have a mid 80's Regal with raised black 'REGAL' in letters machined into a black base. The vise head has been replaced twice from spitting out hooks, but now has a "Gold" coin with Regal on the top it as the original was probably without with just a sticky label underneath. Nice find !

Same auction tomorrow morning. Since last week had the vise, tying materials, flies, and fly boxes, I'm betting the fly rods will be there tomorrow. My fingers are crossed.