Fly Tying
dawgvet

Ribbing material on Hare's Ear nymph?

Hello,

I was wondering what everyone was using for ribbing material on Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear nymphs? I had mainly used gold wire but noticed the ribbing didn't show up much so I ordered some UNI French oval tinsel in size medium. This was OK but seemed too big for anything smaller than a #12. Should I just order UNI French oval in size small? Are there any better options than this tinsel? Would like something durable that also gives a nice visible ribbed effect.

Thanks,
Jed

i use the traditional oval tinsel in medium and small sizes but have also used wire on smaller flies

try reverse ribbing the wire. it wont sink in as much into the dubbed body

flat tinsel can also be used

I use gold wire in brassie size. If you prefer a more segmented look just get the wire in in medium or large size.

For large nymphs I use flat tinsel, and for smaller flies I use gold wire of various sizes. Actually funny this was brought up cause I have a tying video discussing the same thing coming out on the 12th.... haha.

Another trick is to dub your body tighter and smaller or take your scissors and dig in deep and trim the body before you rib it and then brush it out.

I have used several things as suggested above including metallic thread and yellow floss, most of the time i use flat tinsel as that is what was in the first pattern list I had for this fly.

As suggested by flytire, I always counter wrap any rib, this makes the rib cross over all the other windings and both bind them down and protect them from teeth. It also keeps the rib from falling through the cracks between previous windings. iirc, that first book said to always counter wrap the ribbing, it is habit.

Twisting the dubbing tight and winding it tight, as Mike West suggests, builds a better body and after ribbing and finishing the fly the dubbing can be picked as rough as I want and still stay tight on the hook.

I use fine gold oval tinsel. I also have used chameleon mono but that was a long time ago. Most recently I use no rib.. Actually I find a peacock herl wing case to trigger fish more than if I used a rib or not.

nothing wrong with the tinsel sinking into the dubbing. the finished product is for the fish not the tyer

IgJoyxi.jpg

I like uni oval in small or fine, but sometimes I use wire, flat tinsel, thread, flss, or flashabou, it all depends on how I feel. I change up colors too, and although I can't prove it, I feel silver is more productive than gold.

I use whatever I happen to have on hand and so far it hasn't made any difference to the trout. I have even used strands of crystal flash with good success.

Joe

If you want to tie a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, you need gold wire or tinsel. If not, you are just tying a nymph that uses hare's ear. To some there's a difference.

As for advice asked for in the original post, as previously stated, wire for smaller nymphs and tinsel for bigger nymphs. The gold protects the body and gives a hint of flash. Reverse rib for more support. All good suggestions. Water color and light conditions can all affect whether or not the gold actually makes a difference to the fish.

If you get the finest gold wire you can, that will tie the smallest of flies. If you want to tie the fly a little larger, double the wire and twist it up tight. Larger, double the wire and twist again. If the fly is the GRHE nymph then this gives you a weight advantage over using oval tinsel. By doing this you have a "one size fits all" solution.
Personally I use fine flat gold tinsel fot the rib on my GRHE. However, I fish them in the original way... As a dry fly.

Cheers,

C.