Fly Tying

Almost impossible to predict, this far out. March is the transition month for that whole swath of the Country. If it's a calm, warm Winter, then it should be great fishing in March. If it's a cold Winter, it'll still be cold in March.

Either way, the waters will be very cold, so waders and long johns will be a necessity.

I don't know about "in-season" regulations ... go to https://www.takemefishing.org/ to get area specific information. It's my go to website when I am travelling into a new area.

As long as the creeks aren't blown out due to heavy rain or frozen over and the temperature isn't so cold that your guides are freezing and the fly freezing while casting you should be good to go. March winds are rough sometimes but you may find a creek you like that's down in a hollow and out of the heavy gusts. Mike's right about the cold water but nothing that warm layers can't handle.

I’m kind of confused on the rules of fishing there whether or not I need to get a license on the Tennessee side it says under thirteen don’t need to get a license but I was reading an article and it says in the park under sixteen don’t need to get one?

In most States, you have to be a resident to get those "free if you're under/over age" type benefits. Be sure you're checking the "non-resident" regulations.

Here in Florida, you can fish with a cane pole without a license ... in you're own County. If you cross the County line, it can cost you up to $500.00 for fishing without a license.

Fishing in GSMNP is open 'year-round. You need a valid fishing license from either North Carolina, or Tennessee to fish in the Park The license in NC is notablly cheaper. Here is the official .gov website. Post if you have any other questions.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

As e. Snowden said; you need either a license from NC or Tenn to fish in the park. Either license is accepted no matter which part of the park you fish. If you fish only the park, NC is much cheaper. Don't know anything about free license under 16 or 13.

I live in the Smokies and have been fishing the park waters for nearly 50 years. As others have said, as long as you are inside the national park, all you need is a basic NC or TN fishing license, no matter which state you're actually fishing in. TN's license is much more expensive. Fishing in March can be fantastic, or it can be dead, depending on the weather. Late March is usually good most years. The weather in March can vary from warm, springlike weather to frigid cold and deep snow. Also, the creeks are often running high that time of year. I have been skunked in March, and I have had some fantastic days of fishing. You can usually catch fish on nymphs, and they also are usually hitting dries by then if the weather is fairly warm. There are usually some blue quills and quill gordons hatching off by mid-late March. I never really pay much attention to hatches and hatch charts here, though. Most standard attractor patterns will work just as well as anything else unless you happen upon the very, very rare heavy hatch. Most Smokies trout aren't selective at all, but they are very spooky and demand a good, drag-free presentation and stealthy wading and casting.

Some flies I wouldn't hit the creek in March without: Tellico, Prince, and Pat's Rubber Legs nymphs in #12-14. Yellow-winged Princes are really good, also. Some smaller sparse nymphs like pheasant tails, Copper John, or Higa's SOS in #16 or so.

Dry flies: #12-#14 Yellow Palmer, Adams, Thunderhead, Beaver Tan, gray-bodied Elk Hair Caddis, #10-#12 Charlie's Whopper, #16-#18 Blue Quill and BWO.

As stated it is too early to tell what the conditions will be. I live in Charlotte and here and the mountains have been getting a lot of rain. Water levels will be up but unless their is a deluge before you go it "should" be manageable, but as has been stated, March weather and fishing can be fickled.

Check the weather forecast and call the Tuckaseegee Fly Shop in Bryson City at 828-488-3333. Or check them out on the Web:

https://www.tuckflyshop.com/

The folks that run the shop are really nice and won't steer you wrong. I stop by there every time I'm in the Smoky's fishing.