Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
docjohn

Need help with Hungarian Partridge skin

I bought for the first time an Hungarian Partridge skin. While the feathers seem fine it seems that the tanning process could have been better. The skin smells and there is fat visible in places. Can I do anything to improve the situation such as applying Borax and/or scraping the residual fat off. If so is there a method to it such as how long and in what order. Are there any other ideas? BTW the skin is supposedly no. 1 quality.

Definitely scrape off any fat that you can. That's where the smell is coming from. I am not sure a borax treatment would help at this point but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

J

Wow, that's quite the article, Bim.

Pure luck in finding it, but it looked interesting. I posted it at the time ago for everyone in the forum. Someone said it was a compilation of posts to an old mailing list.

I bought for the first time an Hungarian Partridge skin. While the feathers seem fine it seems that the tanning process could have been better. The skin smells and there is fat visible in places. Can I do anything to improve the situation such as applying Borax and/or scraping the residual fat off. If so is there a method to it such as how long and in what order. Are there any other ideas? BTW the skin is supposedly no. 1 quality.

I'd contact the seller and complain. Reputable dealers in skins do not send them out that way.

I've had skins from many quality materials places

Both from the U.S. And England. It's not uncommon for them not to be fleshed thoroughly Use a dull knife and remove the fat and membrane left on the skin. A light washing with dawn dish detergent will also help to remove some of the left over fats and oils. Blow dry and lay feathers down to dry in open moving air. A layer of borax and or sawdust really aids the drying and helps to prevent bacteria. I prefer the borax as it just seems more "sterile" to me

Thanks so much guys. The article was very informative Bimini. It was a Hareline so maybe I will complain. Since it was the first skin I've ever bought I wasn't sure of what was acceptable. Tiny crystal like flakes also fall onto my table when I handle it which also isn't very desirable.

I once got a hare's mask from Hairline that stank! I just let it dry out more thoroughly, and the odor finally diminished to acceptable levels. A lot of pelts/skins aren't tanned, but just dried out. If that's the case, you can soak them in water until softened, and then reprocess them. (wash, rinse, treat with borax, dry and fluff)

As stated above, definitely scrape off any fat or meat that you see. On a bird skin I would then treat the flesh side with a coat of borax and let dry for a few days. After that, knock off any loose borax and blow dry the feathers with a hair dryer.

Thanks so much guys. The article was very informative Bimini. It was a Hareline so maybe I will complain. Since it was the first skin I've ever bought I wasn't sure of what was acceptable. Tiny crystal like flakes also fall onto my table when I handle it which also isn't very desirable.

I would assume that's a fine powdered Borax they use to treat skin. I vacuum a skin if it's really bad. You can take it out and shake it good. If you're losing feathers STOP but if it's a good well treated skin you shouldn't get feathers out without a good yank.

...and thanks also Gunpowderleader. I will take in all of the advice received here and use it to address the problem. I am new to this forum and appreciate the concern and suggestions from all

Hi docjohn,

You've received very good information for the other posters in this thread. So, to recap and add to their suggestions: Scrap off as much fat as possible with a dull knife (we like to use a butter-type table knife), wash in warm soap and water (we like to use Dawn or Downey), rinse in warm water several times and "press" the skin side on a piece of cardboard to dry. Do not use cardboard from a box but instead use the type of cardboard that is on the back of a note tablet. As the skin dries it may stick to the cardboard backing; it's your choice on removing the skin from the cardboard. If you do remove it then the Borax suggestion already made is a good idea.

If you have a problem with an animal skin like Hare's Ear, rabbit, mink, muskrat, etc. then the same process may work as well OR just cut the dubbing off of the hide and store in in a zip-lock bag. Then throw away the the rotten skin. Take care & ...

PS I am not very familiar with the photo attachment process. I hope the last photo can be enlarged. The heaviest deposits of fat are around the perimeter and in the center. There is a thin layer just about over the whole surface also. Thanks