Fly Tying
Kudu

Bucket List Trips or Species

I turn 42 on the 23rd and I guess that has me thinking. Where do I want to hunt or fish next (I love trips). So what are the bucket lists for you folks? I plan on doing Mongolia with my son for taimen some day. I'd also like to catch a grander blue marlin.

for places I would like to go to Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, and Ireland. For species I would like to catch somesort of big billfish, a greatwhite (doesn't have to be too big, just want to be able to say I caught a great white shark on a fly rod), a lenok trout (thought to be the oldest subspecies of trout and is in asia), tarpon, and a nice steelhead.

My bucket list for 2012 is to land my first tarpon on a fly (2 trips booked) and self guide myself to a bonefish on a fly tied by myself. If I can get a tarpon on one of my flies that will be a plus.

Guest rich mc

for the past few years i have had roosterfish on my mind. they look so cool and get big rich mc

Peacock bass, in amazon or Lago do Peixe( it's not a place of giant's peacock bass, but you will catch a lot of then )

Or Venezuela, in Taguarica Lagoon, fishing for baby tarpon

Steelhead and Salmon for 2012 and Tarpon at some point. I've only seen videos of Tarpon fishing and it looks pretty exciting.

I would like to go to Minnesota where my family hails from and catch a bass.When I say bass I mean like a largemouth ,smallmouth ,Northern pike ,sunfish ,perch ,crappie-all thoughs sorts of fish.I am thinking by about the time I am thirty.....I am squirming in my chair just thinking about it !!!

ike

I'm going to turn 43 soon. To me, it seems the older I get the MORE I have to work, the faster the time goes by, and the less I get out to fish or hunt... Oh, I get an hour here or a couple hours there, just not any real time to do it like it should be. Duty in a previous life took me all around the world, and I even got to wet a line in a few places on a limited basis. There are only a very few places outside the USA I would make any effort to fish-- Australia to get in on some of Lil'Dave's coastal fishing, Scotland for a genuine tweed hat and some trout, perhaps Ireland again because the people were just so nice. Unless I hit the lottery I won't be affording any of that though.

So my "bucket list" is pretty short---

• secure a place close to home to hunt squirrels and kill a deer each year. This is obviously fly-related too.
  • fish with my son more, as much as possible. I bought a second Kayak, because he's not much of a bank-stomper, and Kayaks are lots of fun.
  • catch a Bowfin on fly.
  • catch Steelhead in Lake Erie from my Kayak along the beaches / creek mouths on streamers or whatever. Dad and I used to catch steelhead and salmon like crazy from our tiny boat. No reason it couldn't be done from kayak. Wear two or three PFDs and a drysuit... It's an hour away from my childhood home, so there's no reason NOT to do it.
  • go up to the NYS harbors on Lake Erie (Barcelona, Dunkirk) to catch smallmouths in the spring like we used to do when I was a kid.
  • take an honest-to-God FISHING TRIP for a week, somewhere, doesn't need to be far away and all exotic, just do NOTHING but fish and goof off for a week with no other obligations.

My current bucket list keeps me close to home. I want to head into the wilderness in search of a Paiute Trout. Very rare and only inhabits pretty much one body of water and it's about 3 hours from me.

After watching "Once in a Blue Moon", I decided that NZ was where I want to fish, especially during a mouse year.....I think spending a weekend at Riverwatch would be a really cool bucklist item too.

[*]catch a Bowfin on the fly

Just wondering why you want to catch a bowfin?

Bowfin are fun on the fly and very strong. I live in Florida and catch them all the time up to about 10 lbs.

For fish my bucket list includes tarpon, bonefish, and jack crevalle. I've caught jack crevalle on spinning rods and ive hooked up with a tarpon before but want to catch them on the fly.

I would also like to hunt for elk or red stag with a bow someday (only 18 so I have time)

To me, it seems the older I get the MORE I have to work, the faster the time goes by, and the less I get out to fish or hunt

Joel, I can't agree more! This getting older sucks! :(

I'll be 58 this year, and have fairly well accomplished catching most species I've wanted to catch on a fly. I still want to catch a Redfish on a fly, and a Snakehead someday. I've caught Redfish on bait, but not on flies. Tarpon, Bonefish & Permit would be great too, but if I never do I'll be OK with that.

I would like to fish in Alaska, & NZ someday too, but again, at my age & financial situation, I don't see it happening.

Actually, I would be happy if I could just get out & fish 1 day a week close to home! :lol: