Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CasualAngler

Hello from Colorado

Hello! My name is Alan, & I live in Denver, CO.

Avid angler for many Years. Just started flyfishing a short while back. Always thought tying was an art form, & was intimidated by all the Tools & Materials choices. But, I did buy a Starter kit & ended up never using it. Now I'm intrigued by Tenkara, & the apparent simplicity of the flies used.

So, I thought I'd give it a try... & here I am! Hope to learn lots, & maybe get some Ideas.

Thanks!

Welcome from New Jersey I find that there is always something to learn and this site has an active community that will always bring forth a new challenge to achieve and the rewards far outweighs the intimidation of producing perfection

Enjoy and be proud of any and all attempts and success or failures. Its the end result of tying a fly fishing it and landing a fish that counts. Not perfection or beauty of the fly though in time that will accur.

Welcome to the site. Tenkara seems like a great way to get into fly tying. There's a traditional Tenkara enthusiast in Japan who has put out a really nice website. I've never been fully hooked and landed by the Tenkara bug myself, but looking through his website helped me understand those who have. Here it is, if you're interested. My favorite parts of his website are the sections on "flies" and "equipment" (scroll to the very bottom).

http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/amago/b-streams/flytying/kebari_study.html

Welcome to the site. Tenkara seems like a great way to get into fly tying. There's a traditional Tenkara enthusiast in Japan who has put out a really nice website. I've never been fully hooked and landed by the Tenkara bug myself, but looking through his website helped me understand those who have. Here it is, if you're interested. My favorite parts of his website are the sections on "flies" and "equipment" (scroll to the very bottom).

http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/amago/b-streams/flytying/kebari_study.html

Wow... what a website! So many regional variations, both reverse & "standard" Hackle.

Thanks for the Link; definitely bookmarked it!

:)

Many of those flies aren't so different from the stuff out of UK in years gone by, and could be fished with regular tackle. The reversed hackles look to me as though they would foul on the leader and would resist retrieval, best suspended from a long rod with a short line.

Most flies can be fished like live bait, say crickets or worms, it's not so complicated as we let others believe, and there is no secret handshake needed. Welcome to the madness.

Welcome from another Coloradoan. If you get a chance, swing by the Orvis Park Meadows Fall Fly Tying Fanatics Fest Saturday, November 10th from 10:00 – 5:00. There will be about 30 tiers there throughout the day.

Hello,

I too am new and looking for Tenkara flies. I just started with Tenkara and also am looking for a historical resource for tying flies back in the 1600s.