Fly Tying
breambuster

No Email Notifications

Just in case somewhere here who knows the answer hasnt seen my post in The Lodge, Im reposting here. The question is:

Since I moved and changed my email address, I am no longer receiving email notifications when I get a PM or when someone replies to any of my posts. Does anyone know a fix for this? I have tried adding the email address from an old reply to the old email address but that didnt help. If someone else has had success with that, maybe I put in the wrong email address, so tell me what to put.

Since I posted that, Ive edited my profile by erasing everything in Notification Options and resetting all of that, Ive changed my email address in case it was a problem with my primary internet provider, and checked and unchecked everything in Notification List. Nothing has worked. Does anyone have a suggestion? I REALLY want to solve this problem. Im missing too much stuff on the forum because Im not receiving notifications. Thanks in advance.

BB

did you change to your new email on this page?

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=email

did you check the appropriate boxes on this page?

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications&do=show&saved=1&_r=1541867291

what about the "content you follow" page? i have no idea on how to follow content

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=followed&search_app=forums&sid=5ae2ac2f7c3331a26fc7340aab0f04a6&contentType=topics

check out "Email Notification of new messages" and "Topic Options"

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=help

other than that you may need one of those super moderators or administrator to work on the problem for you

bookmark the "help" page for future reference

D0AnEnB.jpg

I have done everything you have mentioned flytire, or almost. I have a couple of questions. First, in the Help Topic page that you mentioned, near the top, there are 3 bullet points. The 3rd says “From the “Email Settings” section of your User CP (My controls) check the “Enable Email Notifications by defaults” option” I can’t find the “Email Settings,” so I cant find “Enable Email Notifications by default”. Can you help?

A 2nd question is that when I change the email address in Profile -> Edit My Profile -> Email and Password, there is a notice that says “Remember you will need to log in with your new email address from now own.” But log in only requires Username and Password. Can you help.?

I’m going to ask Mikechell to take a look at this as well. BB

#1 i do not see the 3 bullet points you mention on the "help topic" page i provided in the link above and provided againg below

however, read the topic "Topics and Forums". open the topic and scroll to the bottom and read "notifications".

here is what it says

Notifications
You may want to subscribe to your favorite forums or topics so that when a new topic or reply is added you will be notified.

To subscribe to a topic or forum, go to that area and click the Vb7F2p.png Follow button. You will them be prompted with how often you wish to be notified. To the right of this button, it shows how many other people are watching the topic.

There are several types of notification, and you will be asked to choose one of these options:

• Instantly: You will be notified instantly when a reply is made, via the method specified in your notification preferences.
  • Only When Not Online: This option will send out a notification if a reply has been posted and you're not active on the board.
  • Daily: This option will send out a daily digest of updates.
  • Weekly: This option will send out a weekly digest of updates.

If you wish to automatically subscribe to every topic you reply to, you can configure this from your control panel. Simply select the "Auto follow topics I reply to" option.

You can remove a subscription from your settings, or by going back to the area you are subscribed to and pressing the "transmit_blue.png Stop Watching" button.

maybe you need to forget about the email thing and try to "subscribe" to new threads and forums

why did you change your email address to begin with

my email is with "gmail". no matter where i move to in the world my email is established and never needs to change.

it will stay "gmail" no matter which isp i have to use

what i mean to say is that you didnt need to change your email address provider for this forum just because you moved

unless you wanted a new email proviser

Flytire, what I meant by 3 bullet points are near the top of Help Topics: Email Notification Of New Email Notifications. Here is a copy and paste:

This board can notify you when a new reply is added to a topic. Many users find this useful to keep up to date on topics without the need to view the board to check for new messages.

There are three ways to subscribe to a topic:

Click the 'Options' menu at the top of a topic, and go to 'Track this topic'

On the posting screen when replying to or creating a topic, check the 'Enable email notification of replies?' checkbox.

From the 'Email Settings' section of your User CP (My Controls) check the 'Enable Email Notification by default?' option, this will automatically subscribe you to any topic that you make a reply to.

Please note that there are four different types of subscriptions:

On the original, before the copy and paste, the 3 statements right after There are three ways to subscribe to a topic: The 3rd statement begins with, From the Email Settings section of your User CP (My Controls) check the Enable Email Notifications by default. Can you help me find Enable Email Notifications be default tab? Ive looked for it and cant find it.

I have changed my email on the Email And Password section. I have checked all the appropriate boxes on Notification Options. I receive notifications in a little box between the envelope icon that tells you that you have a PM and your Screen Name at the top right of every forum page, but I do not receive email notifications. All of the Follow boxes are checked.

I change my email address when I moved because my old email address was with the local telephone company and it was no longer available when I changed internet providers. If I had had any idea that I would ever run into this problem when I first joined the forum ages ago, and if gmail had been available then, I would have set up my profile with gmail. But that is past history and wishing I could have done something way back then doesnt do anything to solve my problem now. I have asked Steeliehunter and Mikeshell for help and have emailed Will about this problem, but havent gotten a reply from him.

I was just hoping that someone who has encountered the same problem would see my post and offer some help. Thank you, Flytire, for your reply. I appreciate your trying to help. If you have any ideas, let me know.

BB

Okay

I'm sorry you're having all this trouble but I have nothing else to suggest

I still think you need to SUBSCRIBE to the topic before you receive an email notification. how else does the forum software know to send a notification. i do not subscribe to any topics or threads and my 10135 posts ive never received a notification.

every action has a reaction. you need to turn on some kind of button to allow the forum software to recognize you want something in return

It even says so in the copy and paste you provided

In addition we must remember this is not the latest and greatest forum software. Lots of features don't work or and some features will never be turned on

Thank you, Flytire. As I have said several times in this discussion, I have clicked every “Follow” button I can find and I may not have said, I have chosen the option to receive email notifications immediately which means that I have consistently and since this problem began, been Subscribed to every topic and post that I have been a part of. I AM subscribed and have asked to receive an email whenever someone replies, but I am still not receiving them. I am subscribed to the fullest extent of my understanding of how to do so. If anyone can tell me how to be more subscribed than I am already, I would love to have that information.

BB

BB as I told you when you Pm'd me a few days ago, you have to talk to Will about this (I gave you his email). It's not a matter of an issue with what you are doing as I had this same problem when I changed my email years ago. Email Will and see if he can handle it for you as there's nothing that can be done here. Lets keep the non tying related threads in the proper forums please.