Fly Tying
Robert M

Warmwater Fly size Poll II

How big are most of your WW Bass Flies II  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lets try it again but just for Baitfish and attractor flies. Remember to hit the one that you do most of the time or covers the majority of your flies.

Im amazed at all of the floating line users. I have not used a floating line yet this year for bass. I may not unless I fish a popper.

Im amazed at all of the floating line users. I have not used a floating line yet this year for bass. I may not unless I fish a popper.

Well, as you know, it comes down to the application. In the waters I most often fish for largemouths, the water is shallow and there are mountains of weeds a couple feet below the water surface. You wouldn't want to drag a line or a fly through that stuff. The floating line also tends to be easier to manage in current when you're also trying to maintain kayak position due to wind.

On the other hand, I know of some relatively non-weedy, rocky lakes where sinking lines or shooting heads would be the preferred approach for smallies, no doubt.

Wow as of this post white has more votes than black.

I also prefer a type 2 line or a type 1 with a clear tip. But then again I usually use lightly weighted flies and flouro leaders and im fishing in rivers without many weeds. I think the clear tip type 1 would be best for lake fishing if your fishing shallower than 10 feet or so. Even with the weeds.

I have to agree with Fishkill. I switch to an intermediate line in shallow areas. It takes the hinge out of the line (sinking fly and leader floating head) my clear head line has a 1 ips sink rate. Weeds I drag my lines in and through the rocks, boulders, logs, refrigerators, shopping carts, and other various piles of junk all day. Weeds are no worry

right now fish are deep so I am trolling in my pontoon with sink tips in about 20 - 30 feet of water.

We ( the family) fish mostly small limestone streams. I rarely have the need to fish deeper than 8 ft, even on the lake. I fish floating lines exclusively for bass. If I have to get down deep, I add shot to the tippet, especially for goby and craw patterns.

20 to 30 feet of water?!!! We don't even have anything that deep here in Florida. Except maybe Tampa Bay.

If I'm fishing my local creek usually a floating line. There are a few deeper holes but both the largemouth and smallmouth tend to hang out in the shallower pools or on the edges of the deeper ones. If I'm fishing a larger river or lake then I'll use an intermediate or sink tip line.

At least the OP is still online. Some of these old threads that are still current the OP hasn't been online in years. In some cases the info is still of interest to new members, but I have my doubts about this one.

Does size really matter?

I don't understand why these polls, no matter the age, don't ever seem to include poppers as I have enjoyed throwing green and yellow frog-type poppers into the lily pads and reeds, which was the only reason that I ever built custom rods, (until I retired).

...or hoppers, or mice, or... whatever. I've not seen a poll yet that I could check because the OP invariably leaves options out. Of course this poll was limited to bass, so it gives many if not most of us no vote about our "favorite" pattern.